How To Love Yourself (Repost)

Post image for How To Love Yourself (Repost)

by Tina Mc Donald on January 12, 2017

Melody is currently on her yearly sojourn to Peru! She will be posting some awesome new content when she returns. In the meantime, here is one of her oldies but goodies… Enjoy!

If it’s one thing that I’ve learned in doing this work is that everyone can benefit from loving themselves more. It’s something you hear all the time – “You just have to love yourself”. But… what does that even mean? How can you learn to love yourself, when you currently don’t and perhaps don’t even know what that feels like?

That’s what today’s video is about. I’m going to share 2 techniques with you that have served me well, both personally and with my coaching clients.

Video Highlights:

Technique Number 1:

This has to do with how you talk to yourself. Generally, unless they’ve done some conscious work on the subject, most people can be really nasty bastards to themselves. What’s your first response when you make a mistake? If you’re like most people, it’s something like “Man! I’m such an idiot”. You might even say that kind of thing out loud. *Insert Facepalm here*

You can change both the tone and words you use to talk to yourself by doing the following:

1. Imagine a small, defenseless child that you adore.
  2. Pretend that this child has done what you just did – made the mistake, screwed something up, whatever.
  3. What would your response to this child be? Probably not “You’re such an idiot”, unless you’re a total douchebag, in which case, chances are, you’re not watching my videos.
  4. Now, use those same words to talk to yourself. Run everything you say to yourself through that filter.

You’ll be amazed at how quickly you’ll begin to completely change the way you speak to yourself.

Technique Number 2:

1. Think of someone that you love dearly. Don’t choose someone that brings up negative feelings along with love, use a person who you simply adore. Grandparents and babies work well for this exercise.
  2. Sit with that emotion for a little bit. Really get into the feeling of love. What does it feel like?
  3. From that high vibrational place, just for a moment, look at yourself through those eyes. Don’t be discouraged if you can’t quite reach that feeling, or if you can’t hold on to it for very long. You are literally retraining your brain and it will get easier with practice.

If you do these exercises daily, even just for a few minutes, the way you speak and look at yourself will change drastically. You’ll feel kinder, both towards yourself and other people. You’ll feel less stressed (most stress is actually self induced) and calmer.

Give these techniques a try and tell me what you think. Do you feel better? What techniques have you found that have raised your self esteem? Let me know in the comments!

To get free email updates and grab your FREE copy of my LOA E-book right now!

(It’s like The Secret on steroids. Seriously.)

We respect your email privacy

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

Brandon January 12, 2017 at 12:36

Simple but great. Very similar to some powerful NLP techniques.

I used to have a lot of issues with loving myself. I can’t say exactly when the shift was…but it just gradually shifted for me. I think it was once I decided to start following my passion and not listen to what others thought I should do.
Brandon invites you to read..How to Feel Good While Balancing It with RealityMy Profile

Ex-mopeychild January 13, 2017 at 03:18

Brandon,
I LOVE your blog BTW. Its got some incredible insights!

Brandon January 13, 2017 at 07:04

Ex-mopeychild,

Wow, thank you. I really appreciate that. :)
Brandon invites you to read..Subconscious Structures and How They Can Help You to Manifest Your DesiresMy Profile

Summer January 17, 2017 at 14:04

I’ve finally figured out that loving yourself is one of the key components of manifestation. It seems that however you feel about yourself is how the Universe will treat you – or how you will perceive that the Universe treats you. Or if you love yourself, the Universe will appear to love you back. My biggest issue has been that of perfectionism. I can be pretty hard on myself (and others) and this recently came up on my radar. I’m currently working on seeing everything and everyone in my life as perfect already. That way, the perfectionist within me is satisfied. Instead of trying to fight against it, that has been my way of working WITH it. This is a big one for me. We’ll see where it leads. :)
Summer invites you to read..Red Hot Love – Rose Quartz Orgone Pyramid by ZenfullyOrgonizedMy Profile

ido February 8, 2017 at 14:05

Totally agree that the more we love ourselves, I mean REALLY love ourselves, the more we experience life.
Ther’s a nice quote by Kamal Ravikant which says:

“The truth is to love yourself with the same intensity
you would use to pull yourself up if you were hanging
of a cliff with your fingers. “

And I think he’s pretty right.
Both techniques are so simple it’s mind boggling how we can change our perspective of ourselves (and our lives) so easily

Simba February 14, 2017 at 16:08

How cute are you in this video! I feel like squeezing you (that’s what I do to cats, dogs & babies because they are so adorable). I remember watching this vlog on youtube over and over again when I discovered youtube repeat.

Apart from that, I have nothing of value to add to this discussion hehehehehe :)

xx

Nakul March 13, 2017 at 05:30

I’ve used the technique no. 2 many times already… Yeah! it really works. Thinking about children or just imagining yourself being a child creates more happiness and positivity in life. :) :) :) :)

Wonderful content… Thanks for sharing… :)

Nakul March 13, 2017 at 05:33

Also, I found some of the amazing articles on your website regarding law of attraction. I read half a dozen articles…. Just loved reading them… Keep inspiring… Thank you so much.. :)
Nakul invites you to read..Top 18 Law of Attraction Quotes To Attract Health, Wealth And Peace In LifeMy Profile

Tendani March 25, 2017 at 07:33

I also use to call myself an idiot, when i make mistakes all the time, and the more i did that to myself, the more i hated my life.

But the was a point in my life that i said enough is enough, i started to tell myself that i love me, i am strong, i am beautiful and many nice things adout myself.

Now at this point of my life, i truely love myself and i would like any one who has a tough time in their life to start to tell themselfs that i love my life, and thing will start to be better in no time at all.