To Desire or Not to Desire?

Post image for To Desire or Not to Desire?

by Mary Carol Moran on February 2, 2012

It’s another Guest post by Lady Awesomesauce – Mary Carol Moran. Yay!

By the age of two, every child has learned a favorite phrase, “I want.” Wanting seems to be an integral part of human existence. If we didn’t want, what would we accomplish? Surely it’s desire that spurs us to do great things, to invent, to dream, to achieve.

Reading and working with the Law of Attraction here on Melody’s wonderful website has led me to confront my desire for things. On the one hand, I understand that I can bring whatever I want into my existence. On the other hand, in practice, getting what I want often leads to more desires, and ultimately to unease.

All that glitters isn’t happiness

Lately I had an experience of receiving whatever material things I wanted. It was really fun! And it seemed like a fulfillment of the LOA. But within a few days, I was physically sick and anxious. Do I have a limiting belief that I don’t merit the things wealth brings? Or was this lovely interlude meant to allow me to see that desire is fundamentally unproductive of happiness? Buying into the importance of stuff brought me down to a sick vibration I hadn’t felt in months.

Many great philosophers and religions caution against desire. Lao Tzu in the Tao Te Ching says, “Manifest plainness / Embrace simplicity / Reduce selfishness / Have few desires.” Aesop writes, “A crust eaten in peace is better than a banquet partaken in anxiety.” Confucius says, “With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow – I have still joy in the midst of these things.” Buddha even goes so far as to say, “Desire is the root of evil.”

We all know that stuff itself doesn’t bring happiness, but that doesn’t mean you can’t have nice things, right? Maybe all these philosophers were just trying to maintain the status quo? Keep the poor contented and the lowly low. Or maybe they were onto something. Maybe not only does stuff not bring happiness; maybe desiring actually works against happiness.

So who’s right?

The LOA that says you can have a Mercedes if you visualize, plan, work, and bring it into your energy space? Or the philosophers who say that wanting is a trap?

Well, I think they’re both right. The LOA says that what we want soul-deep is happiness. The outer world is working really hard to convince us that happiness = a nice car, a comfortable house, whatever cool stuff we wish we had. We may get those things, but until we release the belief that material wealth brings happiness, we won’t find it. This is why I got sick. Part of me expected unalloyed happiness, and that didn’t come. Ouch.

Love what you have

To me, there’s a deeper lesson in the LOA, and Melody hints at it often in her posts. The first step to getting what you want is feeling as if you already have it. The first step is to love what you already have. Okay, revelation: that’s the first step… and the final step. Once you feel contented, happy where you are, you’re already past the goal post!

It’s a circle, a giant snake eating its tail – when you’re truly happy where you are, desire for something better falls away. Just like wanting is a cycle of always wanting more and more, letting go of desire is a spiral of greater and greater happiness.

I know in my heart that liking what I have, basically not desiring anything, leads me to peace and contentment. Can I maintain it? Nope. I do try to open out my desires, using Melody’s mantra, “I want this or something better.” Leaving the outcome to the universe, how many times have I received something more perfect than I could have imagined?

So yes, the two-year-old inside of me is still speaking up, saying “I want, I want. Please can’t I have….” And whenever she pipes up, I give her a big hug, and remind her how well-loved she is. The adult me knows that asking for stuff is a veiled request for love. When the child-me finally disconnects stuff from happiness, receiving the true bounty of the LOA will be pure joy.

Wishing for each of you everything your heart desires, or something better…

Read more of Mary Carol’s articles about living a Healthy Life at alabamahealthylife.blogspot.com

Image Credit: icanhascheezburger.com

To get free email updates and grab your FREE copy of my LOA E-book right now!

(It’s like The Secret on steroids. Seriously.)

We respect your email privacy

Brian February 2, 2012 at 18:47

Completely agree with you, it’s somewhat tricky and yet i couldn’t manage to figure out why, for instance, if we want to attract a lover, we should primarily learn to love ourselves so comprehensively that we practically fall in love with ourselves, and then, at the point we actually don’t desire another person anymore, they will appear. But if i can have this feeling of being in love, this exhilarating happiness, all by myself, for what do i need a lover then? They would be superfluous, perhaps even disturbing my loving togetherness with myself.

Mary Carol February 2, 2012 at 20:41

Hey Brian!

It is tricky, isn’t it? I do think, though, that if you love yourself enough that an amazingly lovable person appears in your life, or you recognize someone already there, then that person will only add to your already shiny-happy-puppiness! Because you will have attracted them to your awesomeness, which matches up with their awesomeness.

The other upside, which you’ve already pointed out, is that you’re already happy, so whatever happens is good! Maybe the universe has something else amazing to offer – a St. Bernard puppy, or a trip to Antarctica, or whatever you’ve secretly wished for your whole life.

Thanks again for writing! Hugs,

Mary Carol invites you to read..Random QuestionsMy Profile

Brian February 2, 2012 at 21:09

Thanks for your response, Mary Carol! That’s a wonderful perspective you’re describing — so much happiness that i can’t yet imagine the full extent, and then some more like the icing on the cake of life. Perfect, i love this kind of sweet surprise!
Thanks again and big beary hugs back to you
Brian

Angela Artemis/Poweredbyintuition February 2, 2012 at 21:48

Mary,
Great post and great topic. I think if we become to attached to “wanting” things we will never cease to “want.” If we appreciate what we have things will flow toward us. I don’t think that having a desire to have nice things is bad in any way. We are living a physical life so experiencing this is part of this life but, to have a “hole in your soul” that you try to fill with things is as you pointed out “shows we need to love ourselves more.”
Angela Artemis/Poweredbyintuition invites you to read..Developing Intuition, Identifying Intuition and Getting Unstuck too!My Profile

Mary Carol February 2, 2012 at 22:20

Hi Angela,

Thanks for writing. Liking nice things is cool. Especially when we can like them equally well at a distance. For example, I love my friend’s convertible. It’s cute and fun and more expensive than any car I’ve ever owned. AND I love that it’s hers. If something similar manifests into my life – woohoo! But I’m quite content with my beat-up old pickup.

Thank you also for using the word “attached.” As long as we remain detached, we can enjoy whatever comes without strings. Once we become attached to the object, oops… We fall into the pit of need, like stepping into a spider’s web.

Wishing you splendiferous things and many hugs,

Mary Carol invites you to read..Random QuestionsMy Profile

Jt Clough | Big Island Dog February 2, 2012 at 21:54

It is a very interesting concept, this idea of manifesting. I do believe it is true. What we think about comes into being. The factor that is hard to put a finger on is we have alternative thoughts to what we want. The universe may know more of what we need. We desire things that can make us more unhappy than before if we actually acquired them.

It can get confusing. For me right now, I am in a place where I truly feel gratitude for what is in my life. Instead of material things I’m happy that I have time to write, to read, to spend time with my loved ones, to contribute in a different way than I ever have before.

I happy I get to read viewpoints like yours. Mahalo.
Jt Clough | Big Island Dog invites you to read..Walking on Clouds a Mauna Kea PerspectiveMy Profile

Mary Carol February 2, 2012 at 22:32

Hi Jt!

From reading some of your comments, I sense that you are as contented in Hawaii as I am in Mexico. Life is good!

That’s an interesting point about alternate thoughts. Melody writes a lot about this. There’s a thin line between “I love driving my new (imaginary) car!” and “I really need something better than this clunker!”

Here’s another perspective: We may well be manifesting exactly what we wish for, but we may not recognize it. All my life, I’ve wished for wisdom (yeah, I was kind of a weird kid…). Lately I’ve had a series of difficult incidents, and I was wondering what on earth I was manifesting. Then I realized that each of these incidents is an opportunity to gain greater wisdom. AHA! The LOA working perfectly.

Thanks for writing! Buen dia!! Abrazos (hugs)!

Mary Carol invites you to read..Random QuestionsMy Profile

Cathy Taughinbaugh February 3, 2012 at 00:16

Hi Mary,

Enjoyed reading your post. Children do equate love with things and parents can easily fall into that trap. Having beautiful things, enjoying them, but not being overly attached to them seems appropriate to me. When we are filling an emotional need with stuff is when we can get into trouble. Thanks for the important reminder.
Cathy Taughinbaugh invites you to read..Treatment Talk Monthly Message – January 2012My Profile

Mary Carol Moran February 3, 2012 at 00:42

Hi Cathy!

Thanks for stopping by. Non-attachment seems to be so key to happiness. It helps to realize that we don’t really OWN anything. Easy enough to realize with the Indian laurel tree in the front yard, a little harder to understand with the dining room chairs, but still true. The old saying, “You can’t take it with you,” is so true! When we can appreciate and love the chairs, the tree, our friends, our children with the same level of joy and detachment, knowing we don’t own any of it or them, there lies contentment!

Hope you are enjoying a wonderful day! Hugs,

patricia February 3, 2012 at 01:18

What a lovely post and it made me feel very happy to read it.
I wanted an energy efficient green home and a happy family – well I am blessed and I got what I wanted and I never take it for granted…words of gratitude every morning and night

I am not much of a person for wanting things.
When my health insurance was cancelled four years ago, I just wanted some insurance so that my children would not be indebted to my old age needs. Last week, a woman walked in out door and researched and found a good enough and affordable answer to my concerns. I just need to manifest $50 more a month to pay for it.

Now I want to loose 100 pounds and not need to take any medications. I am stuck with this one – 5 years of working on it….I have managed to avert the medicines so far usually within one month….but then this is why my ins. was cancelled for non-compliance.

I wanted to make a decent/ or adult income for once in my life for that last few years also, but I think that maybe not in the cards…So I have changed it recently to just enough funds to go to workshops and pay for my health ins. I also want to pay off my credit card and child’s surgery bills…before my partner retires at age 72…. It would be nice a have some pocket money now –

I think not wanting is a two fold thing for me: My mother demanded that we not want and that it was evil and not worthy of us and if as children we wanted for something special or in vogue, that was denied and 2. That once I started earning some money and got my house and kids, I really did not want for things at all.

Maybe some of this comes with age too…I was saying to someone the other day…the first half of life is acquiring and the second half of life is about letting go.
patricia invites you to read..The Irresistibly Sweet Blog AwardMy Profile

Mary Carol Moran February 3, 2012 at 01:36

Hi Patricia,

How great that you’ve manifested affordable health insurance! That was always a major hassle for me in the US. Congrats!

I’m so glad you are happy reading this post. Happiness is what it’s all about. Lao Tzu said 2500 years ago that if you know what is enough, you will always have enough. Often, enough is a lot less than we thought. I love how you’ve adjusted your wishes to bring happiness closer more quickly. That’s not giving in; that’s living in the glorious present!

You have already manifested a wonderful home and family. With your joy and gratitude for these gifts, whatever else will give you an even better life will surely appear.

Wishing you great joy,

Mark February 3, 2012 at 01:51

Another perspective

Desire is part of who we are and enables the Universe, YOU and you to EXPAND. Without desire we would cease to exist. The desire to be desire less is still a desire. Trying not to desire is like (in your words) a giant snake eating it’s tail.

All that glitters isn’t happiness is your perspective from your conditioned beliefs. Individualized beliefs define happiness and we can never truly know what makes another person happy. You maybe happy dropping attachments and trying to achieve a desire less state of mind and I may be temporarily happy with that new yacht parked at my 100 ft dock in front of my mansion on the Caribbean. Who’s to say ? I don’t believe your lovely interlude is set up by the Universe to show you the unproductiveness of desires. That would indicate that we are here on this earth to learn lessons. If your desires are leading to unhappiness, sickness and a low vibration it is only caused by one thing. Your thoughts are not lined up with your source or your higher self. The feelings of anxiety and sickness are merely indicators to get your attention and to persuade you to change your thoughts and to come into alignment with who you truly are. A focused desire from someone who understands who they are and how things work from a vibrational standpoint is completely productive and aids in the expansion of all that is.

I also believe it is difficult if not impossible to interpret the context and meaning of words of Confucius and Buddah or for that matter any of the great philosophers of the past. My interpretation of Buddhas statement ” desire is the root of all evil ” means if you don’t understand who you are and the laws of the Universe then yes for those people desire can potentially cause suffering or be the root of all evil. I think we need to look at Buddhas four noble truths to come to a better understanding of what he meant and not solely rely on one statement. Again everything is subject to interpretation and directed at the time of his existence on earth.

Without human desire the world you know would ceases to exist. Desire is expansion. The Universe and us will always desire and always expand. To stop desiring would indicate endedness an there is no end to this infinite and eternal Universe.

Mary Carol Moran February 3, 2012 at 02:59

Hi Mark,

Wow! You make a lot of interesting points!

I agree that the universe and our lives aren’t about learning lessons. I’m not sure what life’s all about, but if we accept that the LOA actually works, then whatever comes does tell us something about ourselves, if we choose to pay attention.

I also agree that the words of philosophers, especially in translation, need to be digested with care. Each of these men writes of the power of simplicity. In my own life, I’ve found their words to be true for me.

Happiness is convenient shorthand but not a very precise word. Joy may come closer to describing a state we all aspire to. While it’s impossible to define someone else’s road to happiness, pure joy has a universality that radiates from the heart.

How lovely that we can disagree, though it may all come down to semantics. To me, desire does not fuel the universe. According to complexity theory, the universe is moving toward deeper and deeper complexity, a movement which led to the emergence of human consciousness. This movement is no more driven now by our human desires than it was throughout the ages before we existed. It could be that our desires are driving human evolution, though I would argue that there’s a deeper trend that we are riding, not driving. For me, joy=life is all about diving in and flowing with what is.

Thank you for your extensive and thought-filled comment! Readers like you make guest posting on blogs fun and stimulating.

Mark February 3, 2012 at 04:57

Mary Carol,

To me life is all about following my bliss and my “desires” that makes me happy or joyous. When I am happy or filled with joy like you said this radiates from my being effecting all of those around me. I also believe that we are all a reflection or a mirror of one another so when I radiate joy its reflected back to me and I love it. And yes if you accept that LOA actually works and if you choose to pay attention, 100% of the time it is telling you where your vibrations at based on your manifestations. You create your life experience “no exception” so life for you is about creating the reality that you want.

Please understand I am not trying to get you to agree with me. I am merely giving you a different perspective or point of view. Like me, you are a perpetual seeker of knowledge. My intuition tells me that is one of your greatest desires. Hopefully this interaction stimulates your thoughts as it does mine :-)

It is my knowing that we all have our own truth. Based on law of attraction this can make our life quite interesting to say the least. Our beliefs are just thoughts we keep thinking. And by the law of attraction we manifest evidence of our dominant thoughts into our reality which then becomes our truth. I think where a lot of us go wrong is we try to bring everyone into our box or try to make others believe in the realty that we have created. To me what makes life interesting is the diversity of beliefs and truths. To embrace the diversity is going with the flow.. Think about how boring life would be if we all had the same reality.

I’m fascinated by your response with the complexity theory and I challenge you to consider the above statements in regard to any and all theories. Again not in an effort to make you believe anything I say but an effort to stimulate thought and prove things to yourself. Also I would encourage you to re-think your statement that we are riding and not driving our lives. If this were the case then LOA would be be bunk and Melodies deliberate receiving advice would not apply.

I know that you are an uplifter at the core of your vibration and what brings you joy is the ability to lift up another. What a wonderful way to be and live. I love to read your posts.

I would ask that you use your empathic ability to vibrationally interpret my words and respond to the feelings that come from them. :-) . Words like everything else are just vibration. We can interpret them intellectually or vibrationally with feeling. This can potentially make a huge difference in what we come away with.

Mary Carol, Thank you for your kind reply and your thought stimulating post.

Mark

Mary Carol Moran February 3, 2012 at 05:54

Hey Mark! Cool conversation! Thank you for sharing your follow-up thoughts.

I didn’t mean to imply that we aren’t driving our own lives. I was trying to say that I don’t believe that our human desires drive the universe as a whole. They certainly drive our perception of our own universe. It makes perfect sense that the LOA works, and that there’s a universal energy which we are a part of and with which we interact continuously. My physical metaphor for that energy is light; my emotional metaphor is our little human word, joy.

Interesting that you picked up on the intellectual rather than emotional response of my bringing up complexity theory. You’re right! I love thinking! If you aren’t familiar with complexity theory, you might enjoy reading about it. M. Mitchell Waldrop’s book is a good place to start. The basic premise is to examine the edge between chaos and order. It’s an interesting place!

It’s truly a pleasure to kick around ideas with someone as articulate and thoughtful as you! Thank you so much!

Hugs, again,

kelli cooper February 3, 2012 at 05:27

Hi Mary
This was an excellent post and you did a great job of illustrating the struggle a lot of us face. For me personally, my biggest struggle is with money itself. I really do not have a desire for particular material things, but for certain experiences that require money to fulfill. Ultimately, I know it is not the money that will make me happy, it is what is behind it. I sometimes struggle with learning to love what I have — our minds are always reaching for the future and focusing on what we do not have. A hard habit to break but I am working on it! I have been making some bigger shifts as of late and like you mentioned, it is bringing up other stuff to the surface that I must examine. It is all about getting into that weird state of keeping our desires in our mind but at the same time, wanting nothing!
kelli cooper invites you to read..Never Look to Present Circumstances to Determine Future PossibilitiesMy Profile

Mary Carol Moran February 3, 2012 at 06:05

Hi Kelli,

It’s a struggle for me too. And yes, it’s the interesting experiences that call the loudest. Voicing gratitude is my biggest aid. Okay, so I’m not hiking in the foothills of Scotland. Wow, am I joyful to be feeling the soft air as I walk around the park with my dog!

It’s funny how when you turn up the light, you start to see things that were hidden in the corners. That’s happening a lot these days as the energy in the universe is getting brighter and brighter, solar flares and all! I think a lot of stuff is coming to the surface for a lot of us. Tell you what, let’s hang in there together, okay? Here’s my hand…

Hugs and gratitude for your presence here on the blog,

Derrek February 3, 2012 at 11:33

Yet another simplistically beautiful article from the one and only Lady Awesomesauce. Bravo! Also, did you know your initials spell “MC”? That in itself makes you a boss. You’re not MC ‘something’…you’re just Tha MC! Am I right, Melody, or am I right?

Anyway, I think the trick is to find complete balance with desiring something while living wholeheartedly in the moment. While I respect all the great philosophers, saints, and intellectuals of the past, I think it’s safe to say that we as a species are hardwired to always want more. It’s our gift as well as our curse. Look at how rapidly we evolve in terms of technology and infrastructure. Heck, I’m typing a comment to you…a person in Mexico…on a site owned by a person sitting in Spain…and I’m halfway around the globe in South East Asia! None of that would have been possible without that burning desire to invent, or to make money, or to constantly evolve.

The best way, at least for me, is to turn that desire for something physical into the desire to experience and learn. That way, no matter how it turns out, I know I’ve gotten what I wanted : an experience. Let’s say Mr.A is in desperate need of finding Ms.Perfect…thinking only then will he be happy. Instead of looking for the person, look for the experience of meeting, mingling, and probably starting a relationship. That way he won’t be so rigid in finding his partner, and no matter how it turns out in the end, he’ll know that he found what he was looking for: an experience of having a potential Ms. Perfect.

Does this make any sense? There may be holes in the logic, but so far this method has worked in my favor. :)

Mary Carol Moran February 3, 2012 at 20:33

Hi Derrek, Mr. Awesome-Namer-Person!

Yes, what you say makes a lot of sense. If we savor the experience of acquiring whatever it is, even if we don’t get what we thought we wanted, we still have had the amazing experience.

I don’t know if we’re hard-wired to desire or not. I suspect you may be right. Also, there may be an age-difference perspective happening. I’ve lived my way into a happy retirement, desiring and achieving desires many times. My intuition is that getting my material desires never really made me happy. What kept me smiling were the human interactions along the way. Like you said, the journey’s the thing!

I think it may also be a lot easier to let go of something you’ve had than it is to let go of the idea of getting something you’ve never had. It would be super-presumptuous for someone in comfortable circumstances to tell someone living in poverty that they could be happy if they just stopped wanting stuff. Acckk! Curls my toes just to write the thought! Let’s make it a goal that EVERYONE has enough. Seriously!

You write about technology being fueled by desire. Does it matter if Gates and Zuckerberg and the rest wanted money, or were fueled by intellectual curiosity? Not really. They opened up the world for us. I don’t think I could live in Mexico if I couldn’t Skype with my kids. And isn’t it wonderful how this blog is so world-wide! I LOVE chatting with people from all over the globe. Woohoo!

It’s always fun talking with you, Derrek! Thanks again for sharing your interesting thoughts.

Virtual hugs from the other side of the globe,

Mary Carol, Tha MC!

Derrek February 4, 2012 at 09:21

Exactly! :)

It’s so cool, isn’t it? There’s like an art to be mastered here. Desire isn’t the culprit, and neither is never wanting anything. Like you said, it doesn’t matter what these inventors were fueled by, but they were fueled by something…and that means they wanted and desired something so badly that when they made it, they made it big…and today Facebook is an internet icon like Google or Yahoo!.

At the end of the day it’s all about setting goals, having great experiences, and wanting something without tying your happiness to it. Go with the flow, as they say. :)

Mary Carol Moran February 4, 2012 at 16:31

“Wanting something without tying your happiness to it.”

Perfect! You’ve just summed up the whole article in one sentence! The best compliment a writer can give is to say, “I wish I’d written that.” Well, I wish I’d written that!

Another hug, just for fun! Have a scrumptious day!

Melody Fletcher February 3, 2012 at 20:52

You’re right Derrek! Lady Awesomesauce is indeed Tha MC. Why do you think she gets featured so much on my blog?? :D

Hugs!
m
Melody Fletcher invites you to read..Negative Emotions: Envy Vs. JealousyMy Profile

Derrek February 4, 2012 at 08:40

I always thought it was because she was supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. I guess those are the perks of being Tha MC! :)

Mary Carol Moran February 4, 2012 at 16:27

Head exploding! Hee hee! Thanks, y’all!

Paige | simple mindfulness February 3, 2012 at 18:27

When I hear my small children saying, “I want, I want, I want” it drives me crazy. I wonder what I’ve done (or not done), as their mother, to create this. Obviously, as you’ve stated, wanting things is a request for love. Lesson: Continue to be there for them as much as possible.

The other thing to think about is: Do I have unmet wants/needs that I’m not addressing that cause this to be a hot button for me? Definitely but I’m not sure how to address them. Still working on that one.

I definitely love all that I have and am much more content with everything and everyone around me. Acceptance has really transformed my life and my relationships.

I’m finding that the more I open up and express my true self, in my own unique way, the world is opening up to me. Things and situations that I want magically appear. It’s like I’m clearing the blocked channels that have frustrated me for years.
Paige | simple mindfulness invites you to read..How to Deal Effectively With Difficult People (and Some Other Secrets)My Profile

Mary Carol Moran February 3, 2012 at 20:49

Hi Paige,

My kids are now 32 and 35, but I remember those days of “I want”!! I love your two questions: What do they (wonderful souls) really want? And what do you want that makes this a hot button for you?

What I remember doing with my daughters was turning “I want” into a choice. “Would you rather have ___ or ___?” That way they felt they got what they wanted, but they had to define it a little better first.

With myself, now, I literally do what I described in the post. I imagine gathering little-girl-me into my lap, giving her a giant snuggly hug, and telling her how much I love her. Sometimes, I even practice my mom-method on myself. “Okay, Mary Carol. Would you rather have breakfast out once at your favorite buffet, or eat in the park four times next week?” Truth is, I would be stretching to afford both, but either one alone is quite do-able. Wow! Either way, I win. I actually had this self-conversation this morning, and the park won. Hee hee.

Sounds like you are an awesome mom and would be a fun friend. Okay, let’s officially be friends. Pinky swear!

Hugs and thanks again for writing,

Mary

Betsy at Zen Mama February 3, 2012 at 19:03

Mary Carol,
Wonderful post! I love where you write: love what you have! Everyone would be happier if they followed your advice. It’s like the saying, “Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.” ~ Dalai Lama
Betsy at Zen Mama invites you to read..Self Esteem and The Literal MomMy Profile

Mary Carol Moran February 3, 2012 at 20:59

Hi Betsy,

Thanks for joining us. It’s an interesting discussion! I hadn’t realized ‘desire’ was such a provocative word (well, maybe I realized a little).

All the years that I wanted whatever it was I wanted, and felt like I kept making the same mistakes over and over, I now feel like the universe was patiently watching while I tried to grow up. Now, I love my life more than I ever have, and everything seems to be flowing. At times the current is pretty strong – okay, a torrent! – but I’m still bobbing along.

Thanks for the quote from the Dalai Lama – way cool guy! Maybe sometimes not getting what you (ego) want is actually getting what you (soul) want.

Hugs and thanks for chiming in,

Bill Dorman February 4, 2012 at 15:23

The key is to love what you have; it’s ok to ‘want’ a Mercedes, but don’t be obsessed with it. If it’s your motivator to achieve a certain financial goal then that’s ok too, but don’t have the mindset it’s the be all end all. You will obtain it, it will become routine, and then you will be ‘wanting’ again.

Be happy with what you have, be willing to give more than you receive with no expectations and you will be surprised how much does come to you.
Bill Dorman invites you to read..The change that almost wasn’tMy Profile

Mary Carol Moran February 4, 2012 at 16:37

Good advice, Bill.

Wish, enjoy today, enjoy the journey. And if you wish open-ended, who knows what wonderful blessings will come your way.

Thank you for bringing up giving without expectations. I’d add, wish without expectations – ie no handcuffs! Bring me the best you’ve got, universe!

Amy Turner February 25, 2012 at 02:23

I have to agree with you, especially on how getting what you want leads to more wanting and then, finally to dissatisfaction. It’s a cycle, until you don’t know what is the matter with you. Personally, I found great truth in appreciating and loving the things and the people I have already in my life. As long as I don’t get out of the circle of contentment, there is no room for discontent and I am happy with life in general.
Amy Turner invites you to read..Starwood Business Credit Card: 25000 Starpoint DealsMy Profile

Mary Carol Moran February 25, 2012 at 03:16

Hi Amy,

Thanks for stopping by. You are so right. If we can just stay in a state of appreciation, life is great all the time! And as an added bonus, even more excellence comes into our lives. I look forward to reading your comments on other posts.

Hug,

Catherine May 8, 2012 at 22:42

Hello Great post!
I love how the comments section is just as informative.

I think the saying ‘desire is the root of all evil’ is to simplified?
I have a DESIRE to make my family happy, not through materialistic presents but through being a good sister and daughter and helping them when in need.
I have a DESIRE to meet people who make me laugh
I have a DESIRE to be loved by a man not because I need someone to be fulfilled but because I think I have a lot of love to share.

If you desire something that is in essence a good thing to want then how is that bad?
and even desiring materialistic things ,
Say desiring a expensive fancy car for status and showing off probably isn’t a good desire , but say I desire an expensive fancy car which is also environmentally friendly I’m still desiring something materialistic , but as I live in the countryside so public transport isn’t an option is that desire still in essence ‘evil’ as it would be better for the environment and not just me?

And even the people who desire materialistic things because material wealth and status makes them happy is that better for everyone around them rather then putting up with someone grumpy ?

I do understand the concept that wanting something thinking it will make you happy won’t necessarily do so as if your happiness is dependant on getting something then losing it can take your happiness as well,
So many different ways to look at it!
Maybe I’m hang up a bit to much on the words as you’ve already mentioned you the word desire might be a bit of a provocative one for people.

For me personally I am a traveller so I am constantly a bit confused and torn because travelling costs money and what I desire is the experiences that money can bring but it feels wrong to desire money catch 22.

Mary Carol May 9, 2012 at 05:33

Hi Catherine,

Thanks for writing! You bring up some great points.

There’s nothing wrong with desire itself. The problem is that it gets in the way of other things you may be trying to accomplish. For example, if you desire “to make” your family happy, you’re taking on responsibility for their happiness, which dis-empowers them and often produces the opposite result. The best (and only real) way to influence your family’s happiness is to be happy yourself. Raise your vibration, and those you love will be lifted up too, not because you make anything happen, but because your shiny, happy presence will radiate.

Desire isn’t evil! There’s nothing innately wrong with wanting a nice car, for example. The problem is that what we really want isn’t the car, but some emotion that owning the car helps us feel. If we can identify and fulfill the emotion, the car becomes irrelevant – we’re fine with it, and equally fine without it.

Wanting money to travel isn’t wrong either. Let yourself feel the joy of traveling – remember a great trip or imagine yourself somewhere you want to explore. As you generate positive energy around that emotion of joy, you will attract even more of that joy into your life. It could be a trip or money or a visitor or something entirely unexpected. Just keep your eyes open for signs and opportunities, and keep radiating!

Thank you again for writing, Catherine. It’s great commentors like you that make Melody’s blog so excellent (well, and Melody too, of course!). Hugs,

Mary Carol invites you to read..Random QuestionsMy Profile

Catherine May 10, 2012 at 01:06

Thanks Mary
All really good points ! It’s people like you and Melody that make the LOA so much more relatable and exciting! bring on the giant candy floss elephant I may try to manifest one day hahaha

Ash Roshan May 10, 2012 at 09:23

The purpose of life is to live a balanced life, true peace of mind is on the middle path, thus you need desires, just control / balance them. and life becomes heaven. but if you are weak and have a negative mindset and see the glass as half full, you are enslaved by endless desires and frustration and life become hell. this is it, here, where peace of mind has to be found. simply by changing your mindset.