How To Inspire Someone

Post image for How To Inspire Someone

by Melody Fletcher on January 24, 2012

If you read the post The Secret Behind The Secret – How We Manifest Reality, you’ll know that I had a major, ginormous insight just before the holidays, part of which was the subject of that post. I also promised to give you more of that insight in the new year and I finally managed to get my head on straight enough to do a video. As you’ll see, I’m still barely able to contain myself when talking about this subject. I just connect with that energy again and it all comes bubbling out, which is, ironically, kind of the point today…

Watch this short (I know!!! I finally managed to make a short video!) video to get my insight and maybe receive a little charge of energy:

Video Transcript:

There’s a difference between teaching others (imparting information) and really, truly inspiring others.

Imagine that we’re all part of a huge crowd of people, like at a giant music festival. You’re in the center of that crowd and you’ve set the intention to help and inspire others.

Option 1:

You can listen to the conversations of people passing you by, and whenever you see a chance to “inspire”, you can vomit your knowledge all over them. The grand majority of people won’t appreciate this kind of unsolicited help and will tell you, um, to go make love to yourself.

Using this method, you may find a few people here and there who will actually be helped by your words, and you MAY find one or two people in a lifetime who will actually be inspired. Maybe.

Option 2:

You can grab a soapbox and a megaphone and shout your “wisdom” into the crowd. Over time, some people will gather to listen to you. Some of them will be genuinely interested while others will simply have stopped to listen because they don’t have anything better to do. A few of those who have gathered will genuinely learn something from you and perhaps, a percentage of those will be inspired by you. You’ll inspire a larger number of people than by talking to people one by one, but is this really the best way?

Option 3:

You can get rid of the soap box and megaphone and bring out a boombox instead. You turn on the boom box and play your favorite song. You know the one – that song that when you hear it, you can’t sit still. That song that just MAKES you get up and dance. And so, you listen to the music and you start to move your body. You don’t care if anyone’s watching or what they think of you. You don’t care if your dance moves look good. They feel good and that’s all that matters. And as you dance your dance, you’re filled with joy and passion. You can feel the energy and life coursing through you. You’re fully switched on and connected. You have this big, stupid grin on your face, because you can’t help it. You’re fully enjoying the moment.

The people that see you dancing your dance will be inspired by you – not because of your dance moves or the music. They will want what you have – they will want to feel the way you’re feeling. This is what happens when we see an Olympic athlete win the gold, or when we see a Jazz musician in the middle of an epic jam session. We can’t help but tap our feet and bop up and down, even if we don’t like jazz. It’s not the music we’re responding to, but the energy of the person who is fully connected. We’re not inspired to learn to play an instrument. We’re inspired to do whatever switches us on, to follow our own dream.

Because when you dance your dance, when you fully immerse yourself in the energy of the moment and let your passion course through you, you inspire others – not to learn your dance moves or to follow you, but to dance their own dance. And THAT’S how you inspire others.

What inspires you? Do you have the courage to dance your own dance? Share in the comments!

To get free email updates and grab your FREE copy of my LOA E-book right now!

(It’s like The Secret on steroids. Seriously.)

We respect your email privacy

Angela Artemis/Poweredbyintuition January 24, 2012 at 20:39

This is awesome!! I loved this. It’s so true too. If we are inspired, jazzed up and emitting the vibes of joy and an authentic passion for what we are doing we are going to hook others too!
I loved watching your video too. You’re fabulous on camera!
Angela Artemis/Poweredbyintuition invites you to read..6 Tips to Recalling and Interpreting DreamsMy Profile

Melody Fletcher January 24, 2012 at 22:54

Thanks so much for your kind words, Angela! I loved making this video and believe it or not, I had to wait until I could calm down to this level in order to make it. When I get REALLY excited about something I talk way too fast and can’t sit still. I pace back and froth and my hands start telling half the story (well, ok, they always do that…). So, I’m glad that I was finally able to get this out there.

Huge hugs to ou!
Melody Fletcher invites you to read..Not Another Crappy Post About New Year’s ResolutionsMy Profile

Maggie Shayne January 24, 2012 at 22:02

This came at the perfect time for me, as more and more I’m wanting to share what I’ve learned and what I know with others. A few in particular who are manifesting really bad stuff right now. Thank you for stopping me from climbing onto that soapbox! ;) Teach by being. Beautiful.

Maggie Shayne invites you to read..Thoughts at Three Weeks Before 50My Profile

Melody Fletcher January 24, 2012 at 22:55

Thanks Maggie! You’ve put it really succinctly: Teach by being. I could’ve just said that, eh? LOL. You’re an inspiration just because you’re YOU. That’s enough. :)

Melody Fletcher invites you to read..What To Do When the Vibrational Ladder Doesn’t WorkMy Profile

Mary Carol Moran January 24, 2012 at 23:01

Melody, your enthusiasm in this video inspires me! Thank you for raising my vibration a few notches this afternoon.

This is what I love about poetry. Done right, with fire and finesse, poems have that flow and passion that can inspire even at a distance. Writing poems is a huge avenue for me to share the energy. To me, this is one reason art is so necessary – it allows us to touch and be inspired by another’s inspiration, even when the person isn’t present.

Moving to Mexico, where my visa doesn’t allow me to work, brought your lesson home to my gut. Having spent a lifetime of doing, the gigantic-ness of BEING is in my face all the time. Though my Spanish is improving, the language barrier encourages me not to explain. All I can do is be happy, and let the light shine all around.

Way big hugs,

Mary Carol Moran invites you to read..Random QuestionsMy Profile

Melody Fletcher January 25, 2012 at 15:44

Hey Mary Carol!

Thank you so much for the great feedback. I felt quite inspired myself during the shoot, he, he.

I adore how poetry packs so much into so few words. I tend to be a motormouth, but I’m working on it. It’s interesting that you bring up the language barrier. I just recently had the insight that my own language barrier is actually of benefit to me. It keeps me in my bubble of happiness, because I don’t understand 100% of what’s being said around me. It helps me to tune out a lot of the noise, because I have to actually purposefully focus on someone to understand everything. Therefore, nothing inadvertently ends up in my head. Love that.

Squoosh! (sound of a hug)
Melody Fletcher invites you to read..Finally!! Deliberate Receiving’s Online Coaching Is Live!!!My Profile

Andrew Olson January 25, 2012 at 00:58

Oh snap, that’s a really good point! I’m kind of blown away by how much truth and awesomeness you fit into one 5 minute video. One caveat, however, if people saw me dancing (er, trying to dance), they would NOT be inspired :)
Andrew Olson invites you to read..10 Lessons to Learn from NatureMy Profile

Melody Fletcher January 25, 2012 at 15:45

Ha, ha, Andrew. Thanks so much for your kind words. The dancing is just a metaphor. Do whatever you do with that kind of enthusiasm and passion and you will inspire anyone who comes near you. And you don’t even have to try – just BE who you really are and the energy of that will rub off. Because ultimately, isn’t that what we all want? To be who we really are?

Melody Fletcher invites you to read..Can I Use LOA To Stop My Children’s Tantrums?My Profile

Bill Dorman January 25, 2012 at 04:10

I use beer to inspire my friends…………

It was interesting the way you have described it because I have been to concerts where it wasn’t particularly my genre of choice, but there was so much energy and enthusiasm it really created an electric atmosphere. I wanted to bottle the feeling I experienced; it was one of those moments in time you describe.

Great vid; thanks for sharing your enthusiasm.
Bill Dorman invites you to read..Thoughts to ponder and it’s not SOPAMy Profile

Melody Fletcher January 25, 2012 at 15:48

Actually Bill, beer can help. By lowering inhibitions it can allow us to be a bit more authentic, at least to some degree. We aren’t as afraid of others, will connect more easily, joke around more, not take things too seriously. I’m generalizing, but it can help. So, you just keep handing out those beers. You saint you.

I love live music. The energy that’s created at good concerts (and more so at smaller venues, I find) is electrifying. Once I’ve experienced a musician live, I have a completely different connection to the music, even when I listen to the CD later.

Thanks for the great comment!

Melody Fletcher invites you to read..Dear LOA: Can You Just Bring Me A Man, Or Do I Have To Go Out And Find Him?My Profile

Karen January 25, 2012 at 06:48

Considering I am not that good in dancing, it will take a lot of courage to try it. The energy and the enthusiasm in living life will have an effect on others. I rarely try dancing, but I have these friends that who are passionate about it. I can’t help but smile and be infected with their energy whenever they do dance.
Karen invites you to read..DTS HomeMy Profile

Melody Fletcher January 25, 2012 at 15:50

Hey Karen,

Welcome to Deliberate Receiving! Dancing is a great form of expression. You can try it while you’re at home, alone. Just wig out to a song. It doesn’t matter how “good” you are, technically, as long as it feels good.
Also, dancing is really just a metaphor in this video. Whatever you do, do with 100% and there won’t be any room for fear or self consciousness. Just BE in the moment completely. And when you do that, you can’t help but inspire others to want to do the same.

Melody Fletcher invites you to read..Just How Real is Suffering?My Profile

Ije January 25, 2012 at 08:12

this is great melody! i LOVE your videos and how you share your own stories in your posts to inspire and teach. dancing is such a great metaphor for me because it’s part of what i do before coaching sessions with clients to get me centered and ready to connect with them. your video was such a great reminder of how powerful and inspiring our presence can be. thank you:-)

Melody Fletcher January 25, 2012 at 15:52

Hi Ije!

Thank you so much for your kind words and wonderful feedback. For me, dancing is both a metaphor and something I literally do to get into that feeling of NOW. So, I quite literally dance my dance. And when I’m walking down the street, and can’t wig out at that moment because someone might call an ambulance, I dance my dance in my head. That works, too. It’s something to focus on that pulls me into the NOW. Very powerful.

Melody Fletcher invites you to read..Is Unconditional Love Really Possible?My Profile

Cathy | Treatment Talk January 25, 2012 at 08:24

You have made a great point. When we send out our passionate feeling for our cause, the feeling is contagious. Love your video! You send out your good feelings to all of us. Take care.
Cathy | Treatment Talk invites you to read..Zen Mama: Letting Go Leads to HappinessMy Profile

Melody Fletcher January 25, 2012 at 15:53

Hi Cathy!

Thanks so much for the wonderful comment. Let’s all “infect” each other with good vibes. :D

Melody Fletcher invites you to read..“No Thank You. I’ll Have The Salad” – Getting Comfortable With AdversityMy Profile

Johan, The Dutch Guy January 25, 2012 at 08:42

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant … thanx a thousand time!

Melody Fletcher January 25, 2012 at 15:54

You’re so welcome Johan! Thank you for your wonderful words of encouragement! :)

Melody, The Happy Shiny Puppy Girl
Melody Fletcher invites you to read..How To Stop Wanting To Slap Your Sister In LawMy Profile

Johan, The Dutch guy January 25, 2012 at 17:28

Remco Claassen, a wellknown Dutch coach learned me:

People do want to change!
People can change!
But people don’t want to be changed…..!

Is has to come from inside, and that is the inspiration you are talking about.

Sameer January 25, 2012 at 08:50

Inspiring, Inspiring, Inspiring. That was Inspiring Melody.

Now a day’s it’s like I have started getting what I wanted with the help of This one was wanted from last 8-10 days & I got it here again. My LOA is working fantastic, all Thanks to YOU!

Chao Rocking Melody :o )

Hugs & Love,

Melody Fletcher January 25, 2012 at 15:55

Hey Sameer!

Yay! I got to be part of your manifestation! Isn’t it all just perfect? It is. It’s all just perfect. :D

Huge hugs to you,

marc van der Linden January 25, 2012 at 08:59

Great ‘short’ video :-)

Indeed, before we can inspire others we have to be inspired ourselves first. And if we can communicate that inspiration in a way that is valued is by others, they can be switched on and use your inspiration for their dream.

Thanks for sharing
marc van der Linden invites you to read..What are you core values? – according to spiral dynamics (4)My Profile

Melody Fletcher January 25, 2012 at 15:57

Ha, ha, Marc. 5 minutes is “short” for me…

Great point. When you combine the dancing with the soapbox, there’s no stopping you. :)

Michael@blackberry developers January 25, 2012 at 09:02

Hi Melody!
At this point a short video is what really needed, because the shorter the vid the more powerful it is. You do not spread your thoughts over the mountains, they go straight in the face. And that’s what makes it efficient.

Melody Fletcher January 25, 2012 at 16:10

Hey Michael,

Welcome to Deliberate Receiving!
Yeah, I’m working on making my videos shorter… it’s a process. Be patient with me. :)

rob white January 25, 2012 at 15:25

So well said Melody. Being a living breathing example of our authentic self is the greatest gift we can give the world. My freethinking mind encourages me to trust providence,
and dance with life like nobody’s watching. It knows that all sorts of things will occur to help me go where I want to go if I commit to dancing with an attitude of WOW. My conditioned mind encourages me to dance like a puppet, connected to a string of old NO’s. It makes me act like a Know-it-all to others while all the while I am saying No-to-it-all to my own authentic expression.

Melody Fletcher January 25, 2012 at 16:12

Awesome point Rob. Being in the moment and dancing our dance takes a lot of trust – trust that what we need and want will come to us. We have to trust the process in order to really surrender to the moment.

Huge hugs to you my friend,

Susan January 25, 2012 at 19:16

Confidence is trait that is attractive to almost everyone. Showing others that we love and enjoy what we are doing will definitely affect them in a positive way. I like the way you compared dancing with things we do. We just have to go with the beat, feel the freedom and not care what others think even for just awhile.
Susan invites you to read..How To Get A Girl To Like YouMy Profile

Melody Fletcher January 26, 2012 at 15:46

Hi Susan,

I totally agree. True confidence, stemming from knowing your own worth fully, is incredibly attractive – both in a cosmic sense (feeling that good will allow a lot of manifestations in), but also in a physical sense. It’s just plain sexy. :)

Getting in to that feeling of NOW, that feeling of not caring what others think and just fully enjoying them moment: Best. Feeling. Ever.

Ashimi Blessing January 25, 2012 at 19:49

Grabbed a fact or two from this wonderful work.It’s fantastic,thanks for sharing.

Melody Fletcher January 26, 2012 at 15:40

Thanks Ashimi. Welcome to Deliberate Receiving!

Paige - simple mindfulness January 25, 2012 at 20:17

I love how you described this concept! I totally “got it” right away. It brings to light the difference between the people who tell/teach us the same personal development advice but we can’t seem to hear it because they’re just talking about facts. But we get inspired by people who convey how they’ve lived the problems and took those personal development concepts and implemented them to change their lives. Then we want to change our lives in our own ways too. You’re energy is awesome!

Melody Fletcher January 26, 2012 at 15:48

Hey Paige,

Exactly! Sure, techniques and tips are helpful, but what are we more inspired by? The article that gives us diet tips, or the before and after pictures of a massive weight loss? We’re inspired by the lives of others, of how they’ve changed themselves, of who they’ve allowed themselves to become.

Thank you so much for your wonderful words! :)

farouk January 26, 2012 at 10:00

that’s so right Melody
a coach needs to know when to speak and when to listen else he might make things worse
i like the post :)

Melody Fletcher January 26, 2012 at 15:51

Thanks Farouk,

So true. It’s actually incredibly helpful to get into the state of NOW, of perfect allowing while coaching. In that state, our intuition will tell us when to talk, when to listen, and give us just the right words at just the right moment. This is the way I coach. I get into dancing my own dance mode before each session and connect with the person’s energy. And when I do that successfully, it’s always perfect. We really have to learn that it’s not about trying so hard and making it all happen. We just have to allow it. :)

Sylviane Nuccio January 28, 2012 at 05:38

That’s a great illustration about how can one inspire others. By example is always the best way!
Sylviane Nuccio invites you to read..Why You Should Write The Scenario Of Your LifeMy Profile

Melody Fletcher January 28, 2012 at 20:08

Thanks Sylviane! I’m glad you liked it! :)

Melody Fletcher invites you to read..Are You An Empath? Techniques To Help You Live A Normal LifeMy Profile

Jason Fonceca January 30, 2012 at 03:29

I love this, and it reminded me of Derek Sivers TEDTalk : “How To Start A Movement” Video (so funny and so powerful.)
Jason Fonceca invites you to read..The Story Of The Five-Hundred Dollar ThoughtMy Profile

Melody Fletcher January 31, 2012 at 02:16

Thanks Jason!
I love TED! Thanks so much for sharing (and comparing. Wow!)

Melody Fletcher invites you to read..Screw Smalltalk! 11 Questions That Help You Truly ConnectMy Profile

Steve January 31, 2012 at 03:04

You paint quite the picture for me about what it means to be inspirational. I know how hard it can be to do option 1 & 2. With option three, I think I know the song I’m dancing to. I’ve been dancing to it for the past several years. Weirdly the more I get into it the more people I know that also get up and start dancing. I guess I should just keep moving and see how many more I can get up and shake it too.
Steve invites you to read..5 Negative Thoughts Keeping You from Living Life to the FullestMy Profile

Melody Fletcher January 31, 2012 at 19:41

Ha ha, yay Steve! It sounds like you’re in a great place! Shake that bootay and see how else joins you. We are life’s cheerleaders, LOL.

Melody Fletcher invites you to read..Negative Emotions: Envy Vs. JealousyMy Profile

teri February 12, 2012 at 17:36

Hi – So true – and I think the key is simply that we connect on an emotional level and not so much an intellectual one. Information that goes only into our brain may be interesting and certainly has value, but information conveyed at a subconscious, visceral level – has the power to stop us in our tracks. Big difference. The less our brain ‘gets in the way’ the more our heart can take in.

Melody Fletcher February 12, 2012 at 20:51

Hi Teri!

Welcome to Deliberate Receiving! I love your words – connect on an emotional level. That’s really the key to all human relationships and actually truly being who we are: learn to feel your way through it instead of always trying to think your way through it. Wonderful!

Huge hugs to you!
Melody Fletcher invites you to read..Dear LOA: If Enough People In The World Believe the World Will End In 2012, Will It?My Profile

{ 6 trackbacks }