Let’s Celebrate Like It’s…Today!

Post image for Let’s Celebrate Like It’s…Today!

by Mary Carol Moran on December 18, 2011

It’s time for another one of Mary Carol Moran’s (aka Lady Awesome Sauce whom many of you know from the comments) contributions! Yay! LAS has graciously donated some of her writings to this blog, and I’m only too happy to feature her here on a regular basis. Today’s post offers a wonderful technique for getting into a positive mindset and raising your vibration on an ongoing basis. But I’ll shut up now. Lady Awesome Sauce, take it away!

Most people enjoy celebrating birthdays, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, and if they’re young, the start of summer vacation.

How do you feel waking up on the rest of the days? Say December 18, 2011? How did you feel waking up this morning? Wouldn’t it be fantastic if we could wake up celebrating every single day? Just for today, let’s decide to celebrate everything, okay?

How about breakfast? Wow to the egg white omelet with yummy tangy pomegranate mango barbeque sauce. If you’ve never tried barbeque sauce on an omelet, go ahead. It’s delicious. And wow to orange pineapple juice. What a great way to start a celebratory day.

Here’s a typical Thursday from when I was living in Alabama last year: This morning I’m heading into Auburn on Highway 14. If there’s no traffic, I’ll celebrate getting there quickly. If I get behind a tractor or a Sunday-Thursday driver, I’ll celebrate the polka-dotted fields ripe with cotton. I’ll watch the crows and hawks that swoop through the sky, keeping me company on the trek.

In Auburn, I’ll enjoy my friends, take satisfaction in conversations, and try to learn one new and startling thing. Even if it’s just on the inside, I’ll celebrate at least once every ten minutes, and punctuate the party with a random smile.

Late in the afternoon I’d better clean out the gutters. What can I celebrate in that? Hmm, my hands will be freezing. I don’t like ladders. Well, at least once it’s done, it’s done for a little while. I noticed very young that as the daughter I mostly got jobs that had to be done over and over and over, like washing dishes. My brother got the once-in-a-while jobs, like mowing the lawn and – aha! – cleaning gutters. Here’s my moment to celebrate the satisfaction of completing a big job. Woohoo!

Tonight, my hands may be a little stiff and my back may be sore. That’s okay. Not everything can be turned into a celebration. In sixty years of living, I’ve learned that.

But just about every individual moment can be celebrated. Put together enough of those wonderful individual moments, and before you know it, you’ll have a contented, healthy life.

How do you plan to celebrate today? Let me know in the comments.

Read more of Mary Carol’s articles about living a Healthy Life at alabamahealthylife.blogspot.com.

Bill Dorman December 18, 2011 at 15:35

First and foremost, War Eagle; I celebrated getting my two sons through Auburn University and know the town well. It is a very traditional, deep south college town.

I had never thought of it that way, but I too celebrate the small accomplishments or the ‘job well done’ tasks. My latest was washing the windows inside and out of our house and they looked so good, we have left the blinds up on about 1/2 the rooms.

Fortunately, my dad taught me how to be self-sufficient and work with my hands. There are very few ‘tasks’ I can’t figure out and accomplish around the house and I kind of like being ‘that guy’. When I figure something out and get it done, I think that’s kind of cool.

I’m always for a good celebration; thanks for sharing.
Bill Dorman invites you to read..Dead man walking wins free TVMy Profile

Mary Carol December 18, 2011 at 17:12

War Eagle, Bill!

Both my daughters graduated from Auburn University too. Great town, great school. How cool is it to run into a fellow Tiger here on the blog? Time to celebrate!

Congrats on the windows. DIY rocks! When I found out that Colima had a Home Depot, I knew I could live here happily. I’ve learned a whole new skill here in Mexico: drilling in concrete, as the homes are all concrete or brick. Ha! A challenge, but it’s fun.

Thanks for being the first to comment (celebrate!) and for sharing your window story (celebrate!) and, War Eagle!! (doing the happy dance while wrapping Toomer’s Corner in toilet paper – woohoo!)

Mary Carol invites you to read..Villanelle for an Afghan BoyMy Profile

Jill Davis December 18, 2011 at 17:32

Home Depot? Now you tell me…where is my passport? I celebrate having a precious friend in Colima!

Mary Carol Moran December 18, 2011 at 18:13

Hey Jill! War Eagle!

I celebrate your beautiful smile and joyful outlook!

Thanks for coming by to visit the blog. Check it out. This is your kind of place for sure. And come visit me, for real!

Warm hugs,

Mary Carol Moran invites you to read..August 5, 2009: Cinnamon, More Than Just a SpiceMy Profile

Christine December 18, 2011 at 17:32

Hi Mary Carol,

Yes, today I’m celebrating having a good mental health.
During this busy time of year, where holiday preparations, heavy budget spending and thoughts of having to spend more time with odd family members can add too many pressures to an already fragile mindset, I am thankful for my balanced and great vibrational feeling today.
Yesterday I attended a funeral of a longtime co-worker who obviously did not have this grace as unfortunately, he took his own life.
Today will be full of the ordinary chores but Yeah!!, I’m alive and well!

Mary Carol December 18, 2011 at 17:55

Hi Christine,

Wow. You have a lot to deal with. How wonderful that you are coping so well. I’m sorry about your co-worker. Big warm hug!

In difficult times, it can be really little things that lift us up. What can you hear right now? Is a bird chirping somewhere near you? Even the rumble of a passing truck can be a bit of music.

Holiday preparations are a choice, hopefully one joyfully made. I decided years ago to forego the tree and the lights – minimalist works for me!

Spending is relative too. One year an unexpected expense cut Christmas presents down to nil, really nil. We talked it over, and my kids and I decided to have a wonderful time anyway, maybe even better. We started the tradition of a bag of wonders, a small bag full of small treats: a new toothbrush, a mandarin orange, a favorite comic, a cute hair tie, stuff like that. Thirty years later, we still randomly give each other a bag of wonders, just for fun.

Who doesn’t have odd family members?! Stick to your high vibration, and who knows, maybe they won’t seem so troublesome this year, more affectionately laughable.

Wishing you all the best of the season (and the lovely higher vibration to ignore the rest!),

Mary Carol invites you to read..Villanelle for an Afghan BoyMy Profile

barb December 18, 2011 at 17:57

Greetings from home, Auburn, to my dear friend.
Some days I envy you being in such a beautiful place, but then again, my place here is what I celebrate-every new fence that I labor over, each new fence post means one more obstacle for the coyotes to break through to get to my dogs and cats. When I work, I think of it as another form of exercise and every chore is a celebration because each chore improves my heart, lungs, and the muscles I am using.
Have a wonderful Christmas so south of the border and when you do come home to visit, please call.

Mary Carol Moran December 18, 2011 at 18:09

Hi Barb,

Giant hug! How wonderful to hear from you, and thank you so much for stopping by the blog.

Exercise is a great to celebrate life! Somehow, using those big muscles seems to automatically lift the spirits. I sure Melody can explain the mechanism – Melody, hint?

Every day, I celebrate the beautiful dragon you painted for me. She’s hanging on the wall of my indoor garden room (we have rooms like that in Mexico – yummy). Come visit and see her when you can.

More hugs,

Melody Fletcher December 20, 2011 at 13:58

Noted Mary Carol. I’ll see what I can do. :)

Hugs!
Melody Fletcher invites you to read..Good Grief! How To Deal With Grief and Those Who Are GrievingMy Profile

Bill Haynes December 18, 2011 at 18:39

Hi MC!
Nice article. . .it’s good to be reminded that we don’t have to go through this life as responders. We can choose to view each day and every occurrence the way we want. It reminded me of those poor souls in concentration camps, some of whom chose to help others rather than just sit in despair. Anyway, thanks so much for the thoughts that will help me redouble my efforts to see the world positively, no matter what happens. Have a great holiday, and in your case birthday as well.

Love,
Bill

Mary Carol Moran December 18, 2011 at 18:47

Hey Bill. War Eagle! We’re having a Tiger day here today. Woohoo!

Thanks for your thought-filled comment. It really is our perception of the world around us that counts. The cool thing is, once we start really seeing the positive, a lot of the negative just melts away. The other day a friend commented that another friend had made a nasty remark a few minutes earlier. Even though I was standing right next to her, I hadn’t heard a word. Really. Just call me Pollyanna, and why not? She was one happy camper!

Thanks for the birthday wishes. It’s amazing how life just gets better and better. Aging is such a hoot, everybody should try it!

Warm hugs!

patricia December 19, 2011 at 01:38

Today I was celebrating my new shoes on my walk…making my feet come down just right on the sidewalk and connect with the shoe and the pavement.

I can do this, maybe it takes 60+ years to get there, nearly all the time, exception being when I do not feel well – I get so cranky…Today I had such a huge headache, and the tension in my back and shoulders made my hands shake and shake – I had to stop and deep breath on the miracle balls to send the pain away – I was happy to have the tools to relieve the pain. But the joy of today was making Gluten Free Crumpets for Christmas morning with my new oven for my children – an all day project which I now can not complete – no time
So I dug out the Lemon Yogurt Blueberry Muffin Recipe and will fall out of bed a bit early Christmas morning to make them – I know everyone will be delighted ( a bit disappointed)
I have had so much physical pain in my life and now I do not seem to be able to fix my body/repair it with out it taking up huge portions of the day….I get very cranky. I am not a perfectionist but I would like one of my ideas to pan out just they way I think it would be fun for all.
patricia invites you to read..The Tree of LifeMy Profile

Mary Carol December 19, 2011 at 05:31

Hi Patricia,

How wonderful that your new shoes are comfortable! That’s always a big issue for me.

I’ve been eating gluten-free for over 20 years. I remember the first time my kids tried to make me a rice flour birthday cake. You could have hammered nails with it! But the thought was much appreciated. Now I bake with corn flour or more often with almond grounds left over from making almond milk. I’ve never tried crumpets. You must be quite the cook!

I love Melody’s advice about plans. Wish for what you want, or something even better. Lemon Yogurt Blueberry Muffins sound like heaven to me!

I’m glad you have techniques for dealing with pain. For me, yoga is key. Any distraction that raises your vibration, even a little, helps. At the moment, I’m kind of addicted to killer sudoku. Oops, revealing myself for the nerd I am… But the focus required pulls me right out of myself.

Thank you for sharing your happy feet! Wishing you a joyful holiday season filled with hugs,

Mary Carol invites you to read..Random QuestionsMy Profile

marc van der Linden December 19, 2011 at 08:49

Hi MJ,

I love you attitude! love this idea of celebrating everything in life. Everything in life has some positive perspective – even the most ‘negative’ events have something positive.

Life is beautiful and if look careful to what happens in every moment, there is always something to celebrate.

Thanks for sharing
marc van der Linden invites you to read..How to be strong in difficult moments so can achieve your goals easier than beforeMy Profile

Mary Carol Moran December 19, 2011 at 18:32

Hi Marc,

Thanks! The nice thing about looking for the positive is that eventually, you start to see just silver linings, and not the supposed problems. What a lovely way to live!

I always look forward to reading your comments, and celebrate your presence here on the blog!

Mary Carol Moran invites you to read..Random QuestionsMy Profile

people01 December 19, 2011 at 17:29

excellent piece of information, I had come to know about your website from my friend kishore, pune,i have read atleast 8 posts of yours by now, and let me tell you, your site gives the best and the most interesting information. This is just the kind of information that i had been looking for, i’m already your rss reader now and i would regularly watch out for the new posts, once again hats off to you! Thanx a lot once again,
Regards,
people

Mary Carol Moran December 19, 2011 at 18:34

Welcome to Melody’s Marvelous Blog!

When I first came on board, I started reading back blog posts and comments. I learned so much, and still go back and read old posts for fun and insights.

How about if we all celebrate your joining us here?!

Big hug,

Mary Carol Moran invites you to read..Random QuestionsMy Profile

Fred Tracy December 19, 2011 at 21:20

What a wonderful article. There is a lot of wisdom to enjoy each moment in our lives. The big stuff can be fun, sure, but if we don’t appreciate the little stuff then we will be bored and unhappy most of the time.

I am right in the midst of learning this principle, it’s no wonder I manifested such a post. Thank you!
Fred Tracy invites you to read..Create an Emergency Savings FundMy Profile

Mary Carol Moran December 20, 2011 at 01:20

Hi Fred!

At the moment, I’m wondering if it ALL isn’t little stuff. I mean, a car’s a car, right? So what if it’s a Lamborghini? Ha. I could order a coffin shaped like a Lamborghini and get buried in it. Hmmm… there’s a thought, not that I’d be using it any time soon. But you get the picture.

Can I honestly say I’d enjoy $300 shoes (which would probably kill my feet!) as much as I do the gorgeous three-color bouganvilla blooming on my patio right this minute??

My guess from reading many of your comments is that you already have a darn good handle on living an awesome life!

Celebrating your existence!

Mary Carol Moran invites you to read..Random QuestionsMy Profile

Derrek December 19, 2011 at 21:51

This is exactly why you are, without a doubt, Lady Awesome Sauce. :)

What I like about this article is that it doesn’t just say “Enjoy the small stuff”. Instead it tells you how to enjoy even the smallest, simplest of things that may seem mundane and more like chores than something you’d enjoy doing.

We often focus so much on the big stuff and wait for it to happen in order for us to be happy, that we forget that we’re surrounded by so many tiny things that are just as important and just as capable of lifting our spirits.

Whenever I’m down I tend to think about how grateful I should be instead that I have potential, hope, and the right tools around me to make my life what I want it to be. But it’s always during this time of year, the holiday season, when I feel it the most. You know when you look around and see Christmas decorations and bright lights, and hear warm and cozy music on the radio? That’s when you realize how truly gifted you are to even be here to enjoy life this way. Because really, there are people not too far away that would do anything to be in your (our) shoes right now. And while it’s heartbreaking to think of, it also makes you pay more attention to the tinier details in your life that you take for granted and celebrate everyday like it’s special, because it really is.

Thanks for this, LAS. Happy holidays!

Mary Carol Moran December 20, 2011 at 01:38

Hi SuperDerrek!

Thank you for the lovely compliment!

Reading your comment, I clicked in right away on two words: “…should be….” Change that thought to, “Whenever I’m down I tend to think about how grateful I AM,” and you’re there! Wham! Hurrah! Fireworks! Who needs potential for happiness, when you realize you already have it?

All the warm fuzzies of Christmas are a lovely backdrop for feeling light-hearted and joyful. Sending light, peace, and respect, and material help if you can, to those with greater need is a wonderful expression of the beauty of the season. Thanks for the reminder.

Right now I’m celebrating that I had pecans and beets to put in my lunch salad, and it was extra-delicious! And that you christened me with such an awesome nickname – woohoo and thanks!

Warm hugs!

Mary Carol Moran invites you to read..Random QuestionsMy Profile

Derrek December 20, 2011 at 10:05

Changing …”should be”…to “am” right about…..*tweak tweak, knock, click click*…..Now! Alright, all done. I feel better already. :D

Suzanne Johnson December 20, 2011 at 16:26

Great post, Mary Carol–and such a good reminder to not get so busy we forget to stop and see and appreciate the positive things around us.

Mary Carol Moran December 20, 2011 at 21:25

Hi Suzanne!

Thanks for stopping by. Isn’t it great that we can enjoy the excitement of Christmas all year round, with none of the too-busy-ness and awkward relatives – yeah! Wishing you a wonderful season,

Mary Carol Moran invites you to read..Random QuestionsMy Profile

Gabriel Gutierrez December 21, 2011 at 02:09

Thanks for the interesting info. Its such a wonderful article..
Gabriel Gutierrez invites you to read..Is Starting Up An Online Business Worth The Risk?My Profile

Mary Carol Moran December 21, 2011 at 03:44

Thanks, Gabriel! I hope you have a holiday season filled with moments of joy.

Mary Carol Moran invites you to read..Random QuestionsMy Profile

Steve December 29, 2011 at 05:04

Looking at everyday as a celebration is a great attitude to have. You can find a lot of things to brighten your day that way. One thing that I do is to just concentrate on the beautiful things around you that you typically don’t notice. There really is a lot of beautiful things around such as trees and buildings. It’s not exactly celebrating my day, but it does cheer me up.
Steve invites you to read..The Problem with Overnight Success StoriesMy Profile

Mary Carol Moran December 29, 2011 at 16:59

Hi Steve,

Trees are a big go-to for me too. I love touching the bark when I get a chance. We drove out toward the volcano a few days ago (yep, we have our own active volcano in Colima) and saw daisies as big as small trees. My daughter took a photo of the cobblestone road leading to the volcano that I already have printed and framed in my living room.

Thank you for sharing some of your choices of beautiful things. Wishing you a wonderful holiday season, and all the best in 2012,

Mary Carol Moran invites you to read..Random QuestionsMy Profile

Your Online DataHouse January 16, 2012 at 13:13

I just want to tell you that I am newbie to blogging and seriously
loved this web blog. Probably I’m going to bookmark your blog . You amazingly
have really good well written articles. Appreciate it for sharing with us your website.
Your Online DataHouse invites you to read..Asian Toronto EscortsMy Profile