How I Got Rid of Pain Using the Law of Attraction

by Melody Fletcher on June 19, 2011

A few nights ago, I was lying in bed, just about to go to sleep, when my stomach began to act up. I was in pain and had some nausea. It wasn’t horrific, just some basic indigestion caused by having eaten some incompatible foods too close together (fruit after avocado), but it was supremely uncomfortable, and kept me awake. I realized that this was an opportunity to experiment a bit. I knew it was possible to get rid of pain using the principles of deliberate creation in theory. But would I be able to do it in practice? It turns out that yes, I would. Here’s how I did it:

Remember, we’re vibrational beings

If we remember that everything is energy, and that we’re vibrational beings just translating this energy through our senses, we begin to see that every experience we have is just an interpretation of energy. We’re focusing on or tuning into a certain frequency, and the more we focus on that particular energy, the more of it we get. So, in theory, if we want to stop having an experience, all we have to do is to stop focusing on that particular frequency.

The experiment

Because the pain and nausea weren’t scream-inducingly bad, I had a little leeway. I began to focus on the discomfort. I put all my attention on my pain and nausea, which is what we generally do when we’re physically ill. The result? The pain got worse, just as expected.

After a few minutes of this, I then began the process of putting my attention on something else, something “happy”. I knew that if I could just get a tiny foothold, just a glimpse of a different vibration, the law of attraction would make it easier and easier for me to focus on it. I ran through several images in my mind and finally settled on one that I have no resistance to (it doesn’t bring up any bad memories or negative emotion.) I chose the image of a beautiful butterfly slowly and delicately flapping its wings.

At first, it was quite hard to wrench my thoughts away from my pain. I’d get a glimpse of the outline of the butterfly, almost like it was made of smoke, and go right back to the pain. The pain was louder, bigger, more vivid than the butterfly. It was so much easier to go there. But I kept on trying. I persisted.

It took a considerable amount of effort, but I was able to keep bringing my focus back to the vision of the butterfly. And after a few minutes of this tug of war, I was able to hold a steady image of it in my mind. I really got into it. I saw its colors, the movement of the wings, the delicate legs. And as I did this, I noticed that the pain was subsiding. It was decreasing, I didn’t feel as nauseous anymore.

Of course, the second I thought of the pain, it returned. But this time, it wasn’t as difficult and didn’t take as long for me to go back to the picture of the butterfly. I’d amassed enough energy on that frequency to make it more compelling. The law of attraction had made it easier for me to access this better feeling thought. And when I did, the pain went away.

What really happened

As long as I was giving my attention, my focus, to the frequency of the pain, I continued to add to that energy. The law of attraction will bring more energy to whatever it is you’re focusing on. The key was to stop giving my focus to my discomfort. But you can’t really stop doing something you want to stop doing.

Just like if I tell you NOT to think of a pink elephant, you immediately picture a pink elephant, you can’t stop thinking of pain when you’re feeling it. But you can start thinking of something else, instead. So the solution is not to push against the pain, but to find something else to think about and focus all of your attention on that.

So, as soon as I was able to put more attention on the butterfly than my pain, the pain and nausea started to subside. If I returned my focus to my stomach, the pain came back. I went back and forth several times to test this and it worked every time.

Why a butterfly?

The image of the butterfly isn’t magical or special in any way. I chose it simply because I have no “issues” with butterflies. I think they’re beautiful, but it’s not like I’ve always wanted butterflies but couldn’t have them. I have very little emotion around them except for appreciation of their beauty.  In other words, the thought of butterflies carries no resistance – no lower frequencies are activated when I have that thought. This made it the perfect image of for me to use as a distraction.

I tried several other images before I settled on the butterfly, but they weren’t a good fit. I had to find something simple, something easy to lock onto. A complex idea didn’t work, because it required too much effort to get that first glimpse, the one that I needed to get that first foothold. It also had to be something that held very little possibility of activating negative thoughts. What do I mean by that?

I love to go the beach. The smell and sounds of the ocean, the feel of the warm sand underneath me and between my toes, the feel of the hot sun on my skin. I adore it. So you’d think that this would’ve been a perfect image for me to use to focus my attention away from my pain. You’d think that, but no. Because I was coming from a lower vibration, I had access to negative thoughts. Under other circumstances, when I’m in a good or even just neutral mood, thinking of the beach brings me joy. But being at the beach does have some potential downsides, and when I’m coming from a place of pain, guess which aspects of the beach I can most easily focus on?

So, I focused on the beach and immediately got an image of sand in places that sand shouldn’t be. There was sunburn. The waves knocked me over and I got salt water in my mouth and nose. And so on. If I’d stayed on the subject of the beach, I might’ve ruined it for myself for good!

But when I thought of the butterfly, nothing negative came up. It was a simple image, but one I could build upon as I gathered more energy. For example, I started with just a simple, one dimensional picture, but as I focused more, I was able to imagine more details. In the end, I could see the butterfly moving. I even added flowers and other butterflies. Once I was able to hold an image that vivid, my pain and discomfort were completely gone.

How to focus yourself away from pain

So, if you’re experiencing physical pain or discomfort, you can decrease it or even make it go away by doing the following:

• Find an image of something that brings up no resistance in you. It can be anything, but if you think of it and see a negative aspect of it, switch to a different image until you find the perfect one.
  • Make sure the image is something simple, like a picture, that you can build up as you get into it.
  • This is the hard part: Focus all of your attention on that image. The pain will be doing its best to regain your attention, and it’ll be easy to go back to it – physical pain is pretty much the hardest thing to ignore.
  • Notice how the pain gets a bit better every time you’re able to hold the alternative image for even a few seconds. Deliberately noticing this change, will be hugely empowering to you. It will give you a sense of control which we generally lose when we’re in physical discomfort.
  • Every time you switch back to the pain, and you will, it will get easier to go back to your positive image. Don’t consider the switch back to pain a failure. Just notice how much easier it gets to move away from it, and how you’re able to hold the new image a little longer each time.
  • The worse your pain is, the harder this will be, but once you’re able to get just a small glimpse of the image, you’re on your way. The law of attraction will help you build more and more momentum.

Have you been able to conquer pain or a physical condition using energy work? Share your experiences in the comments!

Image Credit: http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images/view_photog.php?photogid=1499

Justin June 19, 2011 at 17:35

Hey Melody,
Great technique for getting rid of pain. This is a better alternative to taking pain medication in my opinion.

Using our imagination can definitely redirect our focus onto something else that will cause our vibration to shift to a better feeling place.

Melody Fletcher June 19, 2011 at 18:05

Thanks Justin. It was a great opportunity to experiment. I don’t really feel pain very often anymore, and I think all the pain meds I have at home expired long ago… :)

I’m going to be careful, though, I don’t want to end up manifesting pain just so I can experiment some more… LOL.

Todd | Channelingmyself June 20, 2011 at 00:32

I love your blog because you write about real world issues and how people can apply the LOA to bring about their desired intentions. I have a cousin who reads your blog, her name is Candy. She could certainly benefit from this post because she has chronic pain. I think the key to it all is like you brought up that we are vibrational beings. I feel that there is so much potential for each of us once we truly understand how to use that vibrational energy to accomplish what we want in life.

Melody Fletcher June 20, 2011 at 09:24

Hi Todd,
Thank you so much for your wonderful comment. I totally agree. We’re just scratching the surface. But it’s “experiments” like these, that give us a glimpse of just how powerful we are. :)

farouk June 20, 2011 at 11:11

that’s quite a creative application for the law of attraction
thank you for the useful information Melody :)

Melody Fletcher June 20, 2011 at 14:26

You’re most welcome Farouk! Thanks for stopping by. :)

Daniel M. Wood June 20, 2011 at 13:46

It is proven that the body feels pleasure over pain. This doesn’t have to be physical pleasure it can be mental just like the one you enduced.

When you gave yourself emotional pleasure it took over from the pain and therefore you moved over too feeling it more powerfully.

Well done though, that is difficult.

Melody Fletcher June 20, 2011 at 14:31

Hi Daniel,
It’s true, we are always seeking to go towards pleasure and away from pain. But physical pain can be so distracting. It’s just so in your face.
For me, it’s not so much about finding pleasure (that would be too far of a jump from pain), but rather finding a neutral subject that you can grab onto. You can then parlay that neutral subject into something more positive. For example, I like butterflies, but they’re not a huge source of joy for me. I just had no negative feelings about them whatsoever. They trigger almost nothing in me – hence they’re pretty neutral. But, I can parlay that into something more positive if I focus on their beauty, add some flowers, etc. The trick is to get your mind off of the pain (and all subjects that are causing it) and onto something that has no resistance. If you do that, your vibration will automatically rise and the pain will dissipate.

Dia June 20, 2011 at 15:31

This is a good experience. ;) One of the ways that I get into a higher vibration is using emotional recall. I imagine a time when I was extremely happy and then begin to focus on what I want to attract. This helps to get rid of the negative thoughts and emotions and at the same time, it helps to raise our vibration. Focus plays a huge part in this process. Thanks for sharing Melody, great job :)

Melody Fletcher June 20, 2011 at 18:43

Hi Dia,
That’s an excellent technique, as well. Anytime you can feel good, for whatever reason, you’re going to be accessing a higher vibration. Thanks for sharing!

rob white June 20, 2011 at 15:35

Empowering advice, Melody. I love your real life example of putting it into action. The Electromagnetic Force of Harmonious Attraction can only make real that of which we make a mental big deal! There is no sense resisting this law, so it is best that we work with it.

Melody Fletcher June 20, 2011 at 18:45

Thanks Rob! It’s so simple: What you focus on, you get more of. We all “get” that, but it was so interesting to experience it so viscerally. :)

Baker June 21, 2011 at 21:20

These are excellent tips you offer. I remember a time when I was on a vacation, and I caught a bit of a cold. I affirmed to myself over and again “thank you for my good health” and imagined myself free of any colds. That cold went away within a few days. I do believe in the power of our thoughts. I feel we are on the same wavelength in regards to how the law of attraction really operates. Nicely done post!

Melody Fletcher June 21, 2011 at 21:39

Thanks Baker. I agree. I like to take the practical approach. I mean, if you can’t use it in every day life, it’s just a philosophy. And the LOA is so much more to me…

Patricia / Patricias Wisdom June 22, 2011 at 20:50

Well done and good sharing. I have had headaches all my life and have used the smell of eucalyptus oil to focus on relief – Mentholatum ointments I Find very opening and relaxing. Also putting a bit in my nose for a plane trip totally makes me feel safe from getting a virus. If I feel a cold invading, I take a sweat bath and sleep – wow I haven’t had a full blown cold in years.

I have gone to an energy healer that last couple of years for my knee pain and she can even help me over the phone now.

but my best story happened just last night. About 4am a mosquito began buzzing my head and woke me up. I tried to shoo it away or bury my head under the blanket…no luck and I needed my sleep – an hour of irritation had passed. I started focusing on the quiet and how relaxed my body felt in the dark and the quiet. I stopped hearing the mosquito and awoke several hours later with no bite anywhere. !!!

Melody Fletcher June 22, 2011 at 21:26

Wow, well done, Patricia! I’ve not been able to get rid of mosquitoes. Even in the rainforest, when I made a deal with all the bugs (some of them were HUGE) to please stay away from me in return for me not squishing them, everything complied, EXCEPT for the mosquitoes. That’s probably because I can see a use for every insect and animal (yes, even cockroaches, they are nature’s garbage men), except for the mosquito. Someone told me that they were there to spread disease and keep populations of certain animals in check, but I just haven’t yet gotten to the point where I can send them love and mean it. I get bitten very seldom now, and the bites only last half a day, so I know I’m close to releasing this, but I’m so proud of you for conquering that vibration!!! Yay Patricia!!!

alexe July 19, 2011 at 22:01

I don’t always agree with everything you say, but I enjoy your writing style.

Melody Fletcher July 20, 2011 at 13:54

Hi Alexe,

That’s absolutely fine. You don’t have to agree with everything I say. Just take the parts you resonate with and leave the rest (like eating at a buffet.) Thanks so much for your kind words.

Melody Fletcher invites you to read..Overcoming Laziness With the Law of Attraction – VLOGMy Profile

Sameer February 9, 2012 at 17:39

Hey Awesome Melody,

I had read this blog almost 2 months back & I was successful applying this but, my back pain is such a thing that it comes back again & again (some time I attract also).

My job profile force me to sit for longer time and whenever I am on leave I travel (within or outside city) where, again I have to sit & drive longer time and city roads add up to my pain.
I am having this pain from almost 7 years now. It bounces back whenever I do excess travelling & longer seating.

I understand what to do as per this blog but, as you rightly said; the worse your pain is, the harder this will be.

Can you throw some more light on how should I focus more on daily exercises & things which will help me?

To be very frank I know where I am going wrong but, if I see the solution from you I will follow that completely ;)

Thanks for being there and helping us with your super duper writings :)

Huge Hugs & Lots of Love,
Sameer :)

Melody Fletcher February 9, 2012 at 20:37

Hi Sameer,

The technique described above will help to alleviate pain in the moment by deactivating the frequency which caused it. If you’ve had pain for 7 years, there’s a much, MUCH larger underlying cause which this technique will not be able to get rid of. There’s something you’re not paying attention to, some issue that’s causing negative emotion that you’ve been ignoring for a long time. And it probably gets triggered when you travel for work. Find this issue and release it and your back pain will get better.

But as you said, you already knew that, didn’t you? :)

Melody Fletcher invites you to read..How To Stop Being A PerfectionistMy Profile

Alice June 24, 2012 at 12:39

Amazing Melody,

I will keep reading and going through your blog as it’s facinating, enjoyable and just keeps coming up with thoughts and answers! It’s like that Deep & Meaningful I want more often with friends but they are too busy to have. It’s great to see deep thinkers. This is much better than television or other free-time activities right now. :-)

Reading this gave me more insights. I realised I have resistance to SO MANY THINGS! Even certain types of flowers can make me both happy and sad because of memories tied to them.

As I said before I’ve had depression and negativity in my life for about a decade and viewing life through this lense so many things have been sucked into the negative category.

A certain flower is tied to sadness because of an argument with family, a lost love, a funeral… Thinking of a happy playing dog can also be a lost cause for people that recently lost a pet!
Seemingly happy objects can be so sad! Amazing. I didn’t know I had such a long list of resistance.
Even a butterfly or animal might be sad for me because a lost friend used to love this or that.. Wow!

My neutral item might have to be something pretty uncanny. This is interesting. I’ll think about it tomorrow on the train into town.

Melody Fletcher June 26, 2012 at 00:58

Hey Alice,

It could really be anything. The point is, it doesn’t have to be meaningful or even positive. It just can’t be negative. You could even pick a meaningless symbol and just focus on that if you like. The thing that makes it work is the focus and the emotion, not the object itself.

Happy hunting!

Melody Fletcher invites you to read..How do the Masters do it?My Profile

Alice June 27, 2012 at 04:42

Does this apply to emotional pain too? I wake up everyday with a heavy heart. Painfully heavy. It’s often hard to get out of bed!

Melody Fletcher July 3, 2012 at 23:09

Yep, it applies to emotional pain, too. And it sounds like you’re experiencing your heavy heart physically, as well. Perhaps not your actual heart, but a pressure on your chest (clogged heart chakra). I would suggest that you do some appreciation work right before you go to bed every night. Spend 10-15 minutes writing down some things that you can truly appreciate each night (you can’t fake it. They actually have to evoke a feeling of appreciation in you). Do that and you’ll wake up feeling better. You always wake up at the vibration at which you went to bed. You rise in between, but you’ll crash right back down to where you went to sleep as soon as you wake up. And that’s why you feel that heart pain so much. Raise your vibration before you go to sleep and you’ll wake up feeling lighter. It won’t take long, either. A few days of practice and you’ll see a difference. :)

Melody Fletcher invites you to read..I’m Back! Updates to Deliberate ReceivingMy Profile

Alice July 4, 2012 at 02:09

Ok then I’ll give that exercise a go. Thankyou very much for that.

I do find it confusing when I have had a great day but still wake up feeling like that.
If you go to bed happy but still wake up sad- what does that mean?

You’ve mentioned this, willpower, forcing ourselves and daytime sleepiness. These all apply to me. As well as the heavy heart I have to use smacks of willpower just to do anything. Getting a foot out of bed. All mental marathons just to achieve.
I know you said forcing ourselves is uninspired and willpower gets worn down- that’s certainly true.
By the time I’m out of bed I start the day with my willpower spent.
Even something that’s moderately fun- to get there in the first place takes mamoth willpower to get me out that door. I’m mostly fine once I’m there but geez unless it’s mandatory or life or death situation it’s pretty hard to get myself to do anything. If it was really fun that would be easier. But don’t have much of that with the limited social life.
You’d have to say my house was on fire! That’s why I’m late most of the time as being in a rush is often the only thing with enough momentum or urgency to force myself.

Tina September 4, 2012 at 16:35

Hi Alice. Hang in there! I’ve been in your spot, drudging through every day, just surviving, and not very gracefully, I might add. The good news is, it can get so much better. What worked for me? A combination of things: personal counseling, talking with Melody, learning to focus on the good things in my life. Even if you only find one small thing at first, it can be helpful. Now, when I experience resistance, I am able to see it faster, and change the course my thoughts are taking. For instance, the other day, everything started out fine, and then, out of the blue, I started to snap at people in my family. Thankfully, I was able to recognize what I was doing. Now, mind you, I haven’t actually worked out what was triggering me, yet, but I was able to change the course I was on, i.e. proceeding to have a horrible day. I stopped, took a deep breath, and was able to focus on the good time I should be having, and the love around me. And voila, just like that, I was having a better day! Just find one small positive thing to focus on, and it will lift you up (our pull you up to a higher vibration, as Melody would say, hee hee).

Alice September 5, 2012 at 02:12

Thanks beautiful Tina. Ahh if only my week long headache would respond! :-)

nupur September 4, 2012 at 14:32

Hi melody…

wonderful post again…!! but I have one question for you..! I am not talking about physical pain here….but pain at emotional level..!!
Melody…its said that if you suppress your emotions…or try to act that all is well…inspite of all not being well…it can harm you more internally. You are suppressing yourself here….And rather expressing is a more healthy way of dealing with emotions..!! may be because we have to finish off that frequency..?? your views on it..

Melody Fletcher September 4, 2012 at 17:17

Hey Nupur,

Emotional pain and physical pain are the same thing, only at different stages of the process. You feel emotional pain first. If you don’t detect it or just ignore it (or suppress it), the resistance will manifest in a bigger way, one that is designed to get your attention. So, it may well escalate to physical pain. But in either case, the “cure” is to figure out what it is that you’re really feeling and what thoughts are causing those feelings and then change those thoughts until you line up with a better feeling. The solution for emotional pain and physical pain is the same. It’s all in how you focus. Focus on something that feels better and the pain will subside. It has to. :)

Melody Fletcher invites you to read..How My Teeth Tried To Kill Me And Why I’m Glad They DidMy Profile

Kat September 4, 2012 at 14:58

Very nice! When I was doing ivf and had pains, I watched funny videos on youtube. Parodies of movies and real-life scenarios like the ones on Madtv really did the trick.

I have been seeing monarch butterflies and dragonflies all summer. First time here in the big city. They usually do not make it to the city, so I take those as signs for good things to come.

In reference to Alice’s example, heartache is a real pain to get over. You are not able to do much with a heavy heart. I had experienced that, but it slowly opened up with laughter, good friends who would hear me out, and of course, appreciation and places like this blog! It got lighter and lighter.

Melody Fletcher September 4, 2012 at 17:22

Hey Kat,

I love monarch butterflies! I’ve only seen them in Peru, never in Europe, but that is, indeed, an amazing sign! Yay!

We usually don’t want to focus on the body part that’s actually hurting in order to relieve the pain. So, I didn’t focus on my stomach, because that only would’ve activated how much it hurt. With a heavy heart, we don’t have to focus on the heart, but just on something that makes us feel better. Appreciation is a powerful tool. :)

Melody Fletcher invites you to read..Emergency LOA: What To Do When The Sh*t Is Hitting The FanMy Profile

Tina September 4, 2012 at 16:44

Yup, I know this works, as I used Lamaze to naturally birth two babies. The less you focus on the pain, the less you feel the pain. To do this you have to shift your focus to something else. Lamaze has you pick an object ahead of the birthing process. Thanks Melody, for explaining what was going on energetically!

Melody Fletcher September 4, 2012 at 17:24

Hey Tina,

Lamaze is a perfect example of this technique! They get you to focus on your breathing on a point in the room, anything but the cramps and contractions. And the more intensely you focus, the better it gets. Practicing that focus beforehand is a huge help as well. The more practiced a vibration, the more energy it has, and the easier it is to tune into it.

Thanks for commenting here, sis!

Smooches!
Melody Fletcher invites you to read..Quick LOA Questions Volume 10 – Manifesting, Stray Thoughts and ArtistsMy Profile

Nebby February 27, 2013 at 09:36

I just wanted to thank you for this article, I just bookmarked it and will use it often! Ever since I got the stomach flu in mid-December of 2012, the past two months haven’t been the same for me. I experience exactly as you had in this article daily, the waking up to nausea, tummy aches and my body shaking all over from nerves. It actually put me in the ER this week, to where I found myself hooked up to IV’s and getting my blood drawn. It was the worst experience ever, being that I am afraid of needles and didn’t like being stuck in a dark creepy hospital room with a creepy tube in my arm. Today I almost got angry and put my foot down and said I’m tired of my tummy acting like this! I tried to look at it almost jokingly, in a positive light. Like, well at least with all this going on I stay skinny. But really, I have panic attacks when these episodes happen at night, and I feel a lot of fear because I’m afraid of vomiting. And of course, as you mentioned with LOA it only gets worse. I know it is my deliberate intent to heal inside and to enjoy the foods I enjoy eating and be able to drink my favorite energy drinks without fearing they are the culprit making me ill. I’m going to try your technique from now on. Interestingly, one evening when I was VERY ill, I actually heard a voice coming to me. I wasn’t sure if it was a ghost or my higher self or what it was! It was a male voice that said count to 10 and on each breathe exhale and say the number in your head until your tummy relaxes. And if you start to focus on the pain again, just start counting and breathing again. I did it and eventually I fell asleep and got all better by morning! I’m going to start focusing on how happy I feel when I’m mountain biking in the woods on a warm sunny day. Just about anything I can conjure up that brought me or brings me joy :-)

Melody Fletcher March 3, 2013 at 22:14

Hey Nebby,

Thanks so much for sharing your experience!

One tip: If you feel yourself getting angry, let it happen. Don’t let it out ON someone, but go ahead and get angry in your head (or physically, if you need to, but punch a couch rather than a person, lol). It’s healthy to let anger our constructively, and it will help to heal you. :)

Melody Fletcher invites you to read..Why Do Our Brains Accept False Beliefs As Truth?My Profile