Why I Won’t Tell You My Age

by Melody Fletcher on March 10, 2011

For the last few years, on my birthday, I’ve been deciding how old I was going to turn that year. It had no relation to my actual age, but was more of a reflection of a.) how I felt and b.) what I thought I could get away with. I even made a joke about it. The cake would read “29…Again!” It was fun for a while, and I made no secret of what I was doing. Everyone was in on it. It wasn’t so much that I was denying my actual age, but more that I was making a statement about the arbitrary nature of age itself.

On my last birthday (in November), I decided to take it one step further and declared myself “ageless”. And that’s where I stand today. It’s not because I’m ashamed of my age (I’m not), but rather that I realized that age, in our society, has become one of the main factors by which we judge each other and ourselves. And I’m taking myself out of that game.

When someone asks you how old you are, they use the answer you give them to try and squeeze you into one or several boxes – predetermined categories that help them define how you and they stack up against each other and the world in general. Never mind that there are an infinite number of other variables involved. Never mind that we have no way of knowing what’s really going on with each person, and that we can’t really ever compare ourselves to one another with any semblance of accuracy. Boiling it all down to age is so simple and easy. It gives us such a convenient way to judge others and more importantly, ourselves.

Your Career: If you’ve accomplished more than we expect you to at your age, we’re all impressed with you. “He’s a director at 28.” Someone who is not a director at 35 may now well feel badly about himself in your presence. But he’ll feel great around the guy who’s 50, and hasn’t made the cut yet. The young director is more impressive – he’s seen as more successful – than the older non-director. Is either of them happy? Who cares? Conversely, an older sales person may well intimidate a younger one, before any words are ever spoken. That younger salesguy sees the gray hair and immediately judges his opponent to be more worthy than himself (and therefore, judges himself to be less worthy). Is the older guy a better salesman? Who knows? Experience, which the older guy may or may not have – there’s no way of telling just from his age, doesn’t equal talent and ability. It can, but it doesn’t have to.

Your Looks: Women, in particular, are guilty of this one, but men are catching up. When a woman asks another woman how old she is, it’s almost always in no small part to determine how her looks stack up against her age. If one woman is older, but looks fabulous, the younger woman may take it as a hopeful sign that she, too, could keep her looks as time “ravages” her body (heavy sarcastic note). If, however, the older woman looks better than the younger woman, the younger woman will feel horrible about herself. She’s somehow failed in the looks department. An older woman may look at a younger woman with jealousy, judging herself to be less beautiful because she’s older, or satisfaction, if she herself looked better at that age. We tie age to all kinds of other self-esteem crushing thoughts: If an “older” person is still fit and trim, we respect them. They have a great body for their age. We have an expectation that older people get wrinkly, rounder, slower, and get less flattering wardrobes and haircuts. When someone defies those expectations positively, we will use that to make ourselves feel better or worse, depending on our own issues.

Your Love Life: “He’s too young for me.” Or “She’s too old for me to date.” We select our partners based on many criteria, but almost everyone has some kind of an age restriction. But what exactly is that restriction based on? I used to have a rule: I wouldn’t date anyone younger than me. Then, I switched to “If he’s young enough to be my son or old enough to be my father, he’s out.” But I realized that these, too, were arbitrary limits. If I meet a young man, and I feel like I’m talking to a child, it’s not necessarily because of his age. He’s immature. He might not be physically attractive to me because his features are more boyish than I like them. But I can tell you that without ever asking him his age. Let’s say you meet a man (or woman, whatever your preference is), and you found yourself really attracted to him. You two really hit it off. And then you find out he’s older than you’d like. Would you really stop being attracted to him simply because of that number? If the number of wrinkles he had didn’t turn you off before, why would that suddenly change?

And yes, I do understand that if you want children, etc., age can seem like an important factor. But again, that’s something you can discuss with your potential partner. There are many other variables that play into that and people are having babies later in life than ever. The point is, you’re either attracted to someone or you’re not. You might not be attracted to really wrinkly men or boys who haven’t grown into their manliness yet, to fuddy-duddies who never want to leave the house or someone who wants to spend all their time skate boarding. But guess what? There are fuddy-duddies who are 20 years old, and world explorers at age 90. It’s the traits that are important, not the age.

Your Behavior: People judge us to be either mature or immature, based on our behavior as measured against our age. The biggest problem with this is that there’s a societal expectation for people to get more serious (i.e. mature) with age. So the older you get, the less childlike qualities you should be expressing. Unfortunately, this leads people, who don’t want to be labeled immature in their jobs or social circles, to mute their joy, to become jaded (often called “realistic”), to shut down their ability to daydream and play. I was once told in a job evaluation that I was “too enthusiastic” and it would be helpful on my path to senior management to reign that in. But when we shut down those childlike qualities, when we become serious and stop being delighted by life, when we stop laughing easily and stop seeing everything as a beautiful game, we deny who we really are.

We have countless boxes to squeeze people into; age is just one of the criteria we use to judge ourselves. It comes down to our expectations of where people should be at a certain age, what they should look like, and how they should behave. And once someone tells you their age, those expectations are in place. You see them through that lens, limiting your ability to see them for who they really are. And worse, it limits your ability to see yourself for who you really are.

So, I’ve declared myself ageless. I’m not ashamed of my age. It just doesn’t matter to me anymore, and I refuse to let it matter to anyone else. You’re just going to have to find some other way to judge me, world. :)

Have you had any experiences where you were judged by your age (or judged yourself based on someone else’s age)? Tell us about it in the comments!

Image Credit: Annie Leibovitz for Dove Pro-Age Campaign. www.campaignforrealbeauty.com

Lluïsa March 10, 2011 at 18:16

I found very interesting this article, and even more because today is my birthday! thanks for share all this information with us!

Melody Fletcher March 10, 2011 at 18:40

Thanks Luisa! Happy ageless Birthday! :)

Kim May 16, 2011 at 19:33

I knew there was another reason why I’m so drawn to your work. I too share a November birthday (21st). Your articles are simply amazing. You write about the things that I think about but don’t share. I am guility of inquiring about people’s ages to see what they “should or should not” be doing, how well they are aging, how I measure up to them or not etc etc etc I am often told that I look youthful for my age…I wear that as a badge of honor (up until now)… and I’m sure I hurt people in my midst by proclaiming my age to others (even when they don’t ask.. lol). Thanks for the self reflection on that!
I will be more aware.

Thanks for the great insight!

Melody Fletcher May 16, 2011 at 19:53

Thanks Kim! The real danger comes when we let other’s reaction to our age determine how we feel about ourselves. If they tell us we look young for our age, we feel good. And if someone judges us to be older than we are, we run to the cosmetics counter, desperate to find the newest wrinkle-be-gone cream. When we make age a non-issue, we take away one more thing we can use as an excuse to feel bad.

Kim May 16, 2011 at 20:28

You just gave me a thought… I will adopt this principle and apply it to becoming “WEIGHTLESS”. I spend waaaaaay too much time stressing over the same 15 f#$#$kin’ pounds for 10 years; it drives me insane some days. And I allow that stupid little number on the scale to kidnap my days. And really, others can’t honestly tell if I’m up or down a few pounds. And even if they could…at the end of the day who gives a #($&#!

I love to exercise, I love good food…if I just focus on the positive, intuitively, I know that I will be happy with the results. But stressing over the process just keeps me bingeing on a weekly basis. As I mentioned in my other reply, I am now starting to sense freedom and allow my selft to eat what I want…no rules necessary. And the release of the pressure will allow me to naturally gravitate to good food with good vibes because that’s what I will attract. Honestly, I love the shape of my body but I negate that by focusing on specific areas that I think should look like someone’s elses thighs, butt, hips, etc.

Life is good! Have a beautiful day!

Melody Fletcher May 17, 2011 at 13:48

You’ve got it! You go girl!!!

van025 May 17, 2011 at 06:52

This is interesting article.
I’m woman and I also don’t like telling my age because I’m afraid comments such as: she’s so old when I go out with my boyfriend

Melody Fletcher May 17, 2011 at 13:54

If those comments bother you, then you may well have some insecurities about being too old for your boyfriend yourself. If other people’s comments weren’t triggering something inside you, they wouldn’t bother you. But what does age matter as long as you’re both attracted to each other? It’s just another excuse we use to make ourselves feel unworthy – we do not lose our worth as we get older. We can’t lose our worth. But if we believe that we do, it makes us feel horrible. So, let’s stop looking at ourselves in ways that make us feel horrible. :)

Mary Carol October 16, 2011 at 02:03

What an interesting post, Melody. You’ve got me thinking…

I’ve always been open about my age, not announcing it unnecessarily, but always answering when asked. It started as a rebellion against the restriction that “a woman never tells her age,” as if there was something wrong with getting older. I stopped wearing makeup for much the same reason (and from one too many allergic reactions). You’ve got me questioning whether I have other unexplored motivations for these choices… Something to meditate on.

Thank you! And a big hug,

Mary Carol invites you to read..Purgatory 17My Profile

Melody Fletcher October 16, 2011 at 16:41

Hi Mary Carol,

Do whatever works for you. I can’t deny that my stance of not telling people my age also has a certain amount of protest in it: I protest the idea of being pigeon holed or judged by arbitrary criteria. I don’t really care if people know how old I am, but I do still care if they use things like age, gender, weight, education, etc. to judge me or others. I take a stand against that (and that’s a kind of protest, so clearly, I’m pushing against the idea of being judged.) But while I clean up that little bit of resistance, I also enjoy making people aware of their motives for asking in the first place. If they can’t hear me though, if they don’t get the point I’m trying to make, I generally just tell them my age and let them get on with it. It’s definitely led to some very interesting conversations, though.

Maybe when I’m older, I’ll challenge people’s perceptions another way. Maybe I’ll proudly declare that I’m 70 while jumping out of a plane or learning to Tango (not waiting until I’m 70 for that, but just saying…) This is my way now. Follow your own path and whatever makes you feel good. :)

Hugs!
Melody Fletcher invites you to read..Imagining You All Naked Did NOT Help One Freakin’ BitMy Profile

Marissa December 9, 2011 at 23:18

Hi, I really relate to this and I googled this subject on purpose. I am tired of people talking about age and asking or trying to guess my age. I think that these people are insecure or just empty minded. They seem really shallow. Instead of trying to get to know me, the first thing that they want to know is my age. What does age have to do with me? Nothing. Everyone is different. They also guess that you are older than you actually look, hoping to try to put your down or they try to compare you with a twenty year old who has even more perfect skin. They are so shallow. I tell these people, that I don’t want to talk about looks or age at all to them. Ever. If a person can’t hold a conversation beyond just asking people personal questions on whether they hit menapause and they haven’t even become your real friend, it is annoying. Some people really don’t understand what friendship is about. It is not about talking about personal things first but hitting the surface first. I think that age is a personal thing that really only people who are close to me could know. I am tired of this world that feels we must tell all or we may be seen a hiding something. I think that the subject of age is a rude question.

Melody Fletcher December 11, 2011 at 18:43

Hi Marissa,

Welcome to Deliberate Receiving!

I’m glad that you found this post helpful. You’re so right. Age has nothing to do with who you are or where you are in your life. Most people have just never thought about this. I’ve had a lot of conversations about this subject and it’s so interesting to see people’s reactions when I ask them (gently and kindly) why they want to know my age. I’m not confrontational about it, I’m just pointing out that we ask this question so automatically without realizing that we’re using it to judge others and ourselves. I’ve converted a lot of people to ageless status. The other day, someone asked me my age (they had a valid reason, they had to know for a form) and I swear to God it took me several seconds to remember. It’s become so irrelevant LOL. Also, I recently had a birthday, and the only two people who mentioned my age (as in, what’s it feel like to be XX?) were the two people who have the biggest problem with their own age. Their behavior simply reflected their own insecurity.

Overall, I wouldn’t be too hard on people – they aren’t usually aware of what they’re doing. You can teach my example, by simply not giving a rip (and I just have to point out that if you get angry when people ask you, you’re still giving a bit of a rip…) Usually, if you explain why you’ve become ageless, most people will react with “Huh. I’ve never thought of it this way.” :)

Huge hugs to you!

Melody Fletcher invites you to read..Good Grief! How To Deal With Grief and Those Who Are GrievingMy Profile

Anonia March 4, 2013 at 01:54

Hi, I remember reading this page about a year ago and it is great since it is exactly the way I feel. I also remember feeling that Marissa’s comments seem so like my own thoughts that it was as though I’d written it myself (in fact, I even read it a couple of times to make sure it wasn’t me who wrote it!!). I also don’t tell anyone my age not out of any shame of it (I’ve always liked it since it meant I was gaining some life experience) but since I have never felt my age as an adult and have a very young demeanor despite having had all kinds of experiences (and yeh, some idiots call that naivity). I have always believed this is at least part of why I also look and seem younger. I read once in two different books, one by an Indian physician, that that since our bodies’ entire compliment of cells renews itself every few months, our attitudes and beliefs about ourselves actually influence how we are renewed and if this is as a younger or older person. Before reading this I had already suspected that my attitude was responsible.

I stopped telling anyone my age when I was 27 (and looked up to 10 years younger depending on the looker so I had mostly younger friends and dates who thought I was their age) and one younger guy at the university asked me my age. When I told him, he said, “You’re reeeeally ooooold”. I wasn’t hurt since I knew I wasn’t old at all, I was young, younger than my years, but I also knew that such attitudes could potentially influence me and I didn’t want to be told by others how I should view myself, so from then on I stopped telling my age. I’m not in denial or pretending to be younger; I simply am younger. I’ve also not had the sort of life typical of someone my age (for those who do what is expected of them), so I don’t share their sorts of browning off experiences and don’t seem like most of them, the ones who follow the social norms, I mean.

Where I felt similar to Marissa is that I’ve also had people who have tried hard to find out my age (maybe where some of the experiences don’t add up with the looks/attitude), and I’ve also had people who smugly (they even looked smug) tried to guess I was an older age than I look (but funnily enough, despite the smug and knowing smiles, they still guessed ages less than my own; and I still didn’t tell them). And I agree that they did it as part of trying to pull me down a peg or lower my self image. Often I got this from men. It was worse when I lived recently in some male dominated cultures. It seemed to be with men (more than with women) for several reasons. A couple of them looked old for their ages themselves, so there may have been some jealous of the fact that I had a different attitude and thus looked younger. Others seemed to be trying to pick me up and either resented that I didn’t pick up easily (for an “open Westerner”) or treated me as wares for purchasing in the market (where we need to know the age of the wares). This made me realize that the reason why traditionally in our Western culture one doesn’t ask a woman her age is for her protection and to respect her. She is not a “caravan’s wares” but a person. Her worth is not tied up in how many years of “breeding” are left in her or how innocent and “trainable” she is. I really think it is left over from that, and I am totally for it. Also, it protects us since if no one judges our age, they don’t try to force us to judge ourselves and therefore age ourselves if we are so affected.

When women tried to learn my age I found it usually had to do with their own insecurities about their own ages (maybe again from the idea that women should remain young to be “elligible”, which makes women competitive). I ran into someone like that recently and it turned out as she herself admitted that she herself feels bad about her age and is also quite unhealthy. Too bad people don’t realize how they can change this.

One study I read about showed that people who have negative ideas themselves about aging, including younger people, tend to age faster than those who don’t (I never did not even as a child since I knew my parents, who had me late, were and are young). Also studies have shown that those who are surrounded by people who have negative ideas about age including their own also age faster (I assume, unless they disassociate from such toxic people). Also, those who believe they will live very long lives have younger biological ages.

Sorry to have gone on a bit but I have often thought of your site. I’m really happy to find this page once again and to find so many people with ideas similar to mine.

Melody Fletcher March 7, 2013 at 21:42

Hey Anonia,

It’s great to come back to some posts and re-read them, isn’t it? I get that privilege when someone comments on an older post. :)

I agree with what you said about people who feel younger looking and acting younger. I’ve met people in their 60′s and 70′s who were incredibly young. Yeah, they had a few wrinkles, but they looked fantastic, and more importantly, had more energy than I did!

I’ve not had the experience of men needing to know my age. I’ve heard of that, but haven’t had it done to me. Thanks so much for sharing that perspective!

Glad you’re still doing well. :)

Melody Fletcher invites you to read..Dear LOA: Should I Take Risks Or Play It Safe?My Profile

Anona March 11, 2013 at 00:12

Hi, thanks for your reply!

My experience with men wanting to know my age happened more in male dominated developing eastern countries. It has seldom happened in the English speaking West. But it did give me a different perspective of things.

Yes, I’ve also met people in their 70s and older who looked and also acted and felt surprisingly younger and it seemed from what they told me that they aged very slowly partly because of their very healthy lifestyles but partly also because of their attitudes. They felt much younger so they associated more with younger people who were more like them, usually dated younger people, and they also went on doing all the things they had always done (travel, weight training, hiking, university courses, social groups, etc) with no change at all. So I think that is the secret! They were also very positive thinking and optimistic. One example was a couple I met on a plane recently who I had been sure were in their 50s, and very young 50s, but they were 79! I also met a man in the Middle East who was biking through Europe and Asia who was also in his 70s but looked 50. And I’ve met a few others like that too. I saw a tv program recently about a surgeon who still practices at the age of 99.

Sharah December 29, 2011 at 23:07

I totally agree with everything you have said. Marissa made a very good point about people trying to guess our age and analyze it as being insecure about age themselves. In fact, now I recall that one person who really tried very hard to upset me when I wouldnt tell him my age was someone who looked much older than he is (I look younger than I am) and who was obsessed with using creams to slow his own aging process, and always talking about how he looked older than he was, despite the fact that he was quite good looking in any case. So now I see what he was up to; it seems he was too obsessed with and worried about his own appearance and felt bad that I myself was not.

I have always aged more slowly and I’ve always put it down to the fact that I havent cared about my age, have continued to behave and look at life in the way I have chosen to regardless of the number of years, and generally forget my actual age and need a few minutes to recall it if I suddenly need to write it on some official form. I get the feeling that when I meet people who try to analyze my age when they know I never discuss it, such people are in fact resentful of the fact that I am in fact ageless and they are not. You are right that they are also very disrespectful. Like you, I dont have a personal problem with my age, I like my age only in that it means Ive had some life experience, but I dont tell it since I dont wish to be put into a category into which I voluntarily do not fit.

Im glad to read these comments by others who have the same attitude!

Melody Fletcher December 30, 2011 at 01:53

Hi Sharah!

Thanks so much for commenting here. It’s always nice to meet another ageless beauty. :) Once you understand why people are obsessed with their own age, i.e., that it’s simply their own insecurity, it becomes much easier to not get upset by their questions or behavior. The more insecure they are, the more rude or volatile their questions will become. There’s no point in getting upset by their insecurities. Why? It would only hurt us and teach them nothing. What’s most important is that we stay in our own happy place, no matter what.

Huge hugs to you!!

Melody Fletcher invites you to read..Did I Attract My Cheating Husband?My Profile

Brandi January 30, 2012 at 15:05

My insecurities are boundless. Its so funny that I just read this post here. two days ago I was in a cycling class and a woman made a point of calling out to the teacher that she should ask this other woman her age because you wouldn’t believe it to see how good she looks. And she was beautiful and I was envious. This is such an issue for me because I am quite obsessed with age. It bothers me tremendously. I tell myself I won’t dye my hair or use creams when the time comes, but I’ve made other resolutions that have fallen by the wayside. I just hope that I can get to the same place as you, Melody.

Melody Fletcher January 31, 2012 at 02:14

Hey Brandi!

Welcome to Deliberate Receiving! Great timing. I’m posting a video about envy and jealousy tomorrow. :)
Why not use creams? I’ve been using great moisturizers since I was in my twenties and I don’t intend to stop. I take care of myself and yes, I do use anti aging stuff when it’s applicable. I enjoy looking good and having nice skin and I do believe that such good care has an anti-aging effect. But you won’t see me freaking out over a wrinkle. The point is, if you want to use creams, use creams. Die your hair. Date a young man. Do whatever you want, just not because you’re trying to “fight” your age, but because that’s what you want to do.

It comes down the relationship you have to age. Can you look at a beautiful older woman (60′s, 70′s) and still consider her beautiful? Or do you need her to be 20? Can you imagine yourself as a gorgeous, feisty older lady? Do these kinds of visualizations. Don’t try to make peace with being an ugly old bag. (WHY??) Make peace with being awesome. Now AND then. :)

Melody Fletcher invites you to read..Screw Smalltalk! 11 Questions That Help You Truly ConnectMy Profile

Sameer March 19, 2012 at 17:30

Hey Awesome Melody,

First male comments on this post ;)

There are few incidences in my life where this happened with me. People judged me by my fun behavior, my emotional behavior, my mature behavior then, I realized if I keep changing what others want to see in me I will be completely different (no me personality). Finally, I dropped all the masks & started once for all behaving what I think is right. Now I am becoming popular ;)

But, experience changes person. We change, the more we see rains every year :)

Exceptionally well written.

Huge Hugs & Love,
Sameer

Melody Fletcher March 20, 2012 at 17:30

Hey Sameer,

It’s interesting how our society has come to see fun and enthusiastic as “immature”. I bumped up against this is business myself, many times, even though at times I actually acted and felt much older than I was. My true nature would always come shining through. The key is to let it, but in a way that feels truly good. Then, others will respond positively. It’s great that you’ve found the balance!

Melody Fletcher invites you to read..Dear LOA: Is The Current Monetary System Broken?My Profile

Alice June 27, 2012 at 05:20

I think this is why people get so upset on their birthdays and Christmas. What have I achieved this year?

I’m in my twenties but haven’t “achieved” much in comparison with other people my age. I’m also mentally older than them as well due to depression making me feel old!

I wish I could get to the point where I was happy about my birthday but so far it just feels like another year wasted in this bad space. I wish I could rewind my age and be back to 19-20 again that way I could buy some time and look a little more competant for my age. I’d still be behind career wise but at least not so bad.

The years go so fast for me. Time goes too fast. I need a pasue button while I get my stuff together!

Melody Fletcher July 3, 2012 at 22:18

Hey Alice,

19/20 eh? There are a lot of people who probably want to slap you right now, he, he. You’re not running out of time. First of all, you’re an immortal being. Second, age is in the way you feel. What we call “old” is really just joyless and serious. What we call “young” is carefree and silly. You’re focusing way too much on the future. Place your attention on the NOW, on right here where you are. What can you do right now that feels good. This is what makes kids young. They don’t care about tomorrow. They want to have fun NOW. When you do that, it’s really does slow down time. :)

Melody Fletcher invites you to read..I’m Back! Updates to Deliberate ReceivingMy Profile

Alice July 4, 2012 at 00:54

Hee. ;-) I choose 19 or 20 because it’s the smallest number I could pick that was still old enough to be considered adult. I wouldn’t want to rewind so far back that I didn’t have any rights that you get as an adult.
Also If I went any younger than that it would be too unrealistic for my mental age.

Ha! If I did what I really wanted I’d be something like Roger off family guy and and dye my hair lime green! *sigh*

S August 15, 2012 at 08:22

so right. i HATE my birthdays cuz i feel like shit. aways have. and il be turning 25 in a few months time. thought makes me want to freeze time ! am trying to root it out though :)

Alice August 16, 2012 at 03:23

Me too S. Do you go outside? Do you work? Do you have friends? What is it that is bothering you?
For me the answer is pretty much “No” to all these questions. I have not been given the chance to enjoy my youth and I feel once you cross 25 and start heading to 30 you just saw it slip away.

I’ve never been on the beach with friends. Been drinking with friends. Been outside with friends maybe 3-5 times in a year if I’m lucky.

The isolation, poor health and madness is crushing.

S August 17, 2012 at 15:59

the thing is, i do go outside. and i do have freinds.
NOW, i do, i mean. there was a time when i couldnt have a conversation with anyone without getting a panic attack of how everyone around me was laughing at me.
i dint have a very happy shiny childhood either, and i think tht somehow made me hate the very thought of ebing born, cuz i felt so ‘unwanted’ by my parents. i suppose thats why i hated the whole idea of a birthday. im trying to get rid of the old thought pattern, but its taking time to get out of the ‘comfort’ zone of it all i guess.

i hope things get better for you. and i hope you get better healthwise. i hope we both start celebrating our birthdays someday, not as a facadey thingy, but cuz were genuinely happy to have been born :)

Alice August 18, 2012 at 06:45

Dear S,

Thankyou very, very much. I hope so too. It sounds alot like you experienced some extreme social phobia.

I have not personally had that (can talk to people quite easily) but had panic attacks and they are quite horrible–so I understand anxiety very well.

I want good health more than anything. My frustration now is over time I’ve become quite good at interacting with people, but being house-bound most ofthe time I don’t get this.

So my depression comes from finally having good self-esteem (I didn’t have social phobia, but struggled to make friends)

looking quite ok and being of reasonable intelligence… but trapped inside, which is a waste of perfectly good person.

So I do get very angry about that and frustrated at the irony.

I do believe it will improve, I must, as hope is all I have! :-)

I am happy to be born, I just want to enjoy it! :-)

s August 18, 2012 at 07:22

Well I’m not sure of WHAT I had. It was crippling, that’s all id like to acknowledge. :)
I’ve been on antideps and mood stabilizers for two years now and I’m getting so much better I think. And then I read tons of blogs like melodys, which is basically a lesson in human psychology more than anythin else. I also figured that my feeling unwanted had created so many blocks and patterns in my life that kept repeating and I always kept labelling me as the innocent victim. So I put a stop to that and started treating myself better. It wasn’t easy. I was so used to cutting my skin the moment I felt bad about myself. But I haven’t cut for very long now. And that’s a victory for me atleast :) id say just treat urself well. Enjoy your own company . Taake ur seclusion as a chance to to be with urself. See it as a good thing, not as a restriction. That might shift the ‘ energy’ around the situation for you. Be thankful ur so much more settled in the head now. Start from tgere :)

Kat July 23, 2012 at 18:56

Yes, Melody, you are most definitely ageless!!!! You write about all the topics I am thinking about nowadays.

When one is secure with him/herself, happy and content and looking forward to stuff, one does not even bother with numbers. As a matter of fact, I used to be accosted with this very question all the time before deliberately practicing LOA, and since then, I have such people steer clear of me! Cool, huh? Life is an adventure, and to lose enthusiasm and not dream is to be dead in LOA terms.

Melody Fletcher July 23, 2012 at 20:53

That’s awesome Kat. I’ve had the same experience. I rarely get asked how old I am now and I rarely think about it. When you realize how your own insecurities shape your experiences (sometimes immediately!), it becomes easier to shape them in a positive way. Yay!

You can’t stop dreaming, but you can stop thinking that your dreams are possible, which is a really painful place to be…

Melody Fletcher invites you to read..Quick LOA Questions Volume 6 – Visualizing and ManifestingMy Profile

liza December 30, 2012 at 08:25

Hi, I really enjoyed reading your article. I am in my late 30′s and loving life. I feel young and have been told by many people that I look young too. I have a step mom ..that dwells on age. She will try to imbarass me in front of people ..by saying I’m getting old..then ask me my age. I get so sick of it. She never does it to any body else but me. I always reply I’m in my late 30′s and she’ll reply with. Well ur gonna be 40 soon. I wish she would quite it. but I know …that ain’t ever gonna happen. What I don’t understand ..why.. is she so hung up on my age.

Melody Fletcher January 6, 2013 at 00:58

Hey Liza,

The real question is, what is she mirroring back to you? Perhaps you don’t really care about your age, but you’re clearly annoyed with her for some reason. Think about that? She’s triggering you somehow. It may not be age related, but why does what she says bother you at all? That’s the key. Your reaction to her words is the clue. :)

Melody Fletcher invites you to read..Learning To Take A ComplimentMy Profile

Ande Lyons January 2, 2013 at 17:07

Melody!

I love, love, LOVE this “ageless” post!! Age is an attitude – woo hoo!

Happy Happy 2013 to you!!

@AndeLyons

Melody Fletcher January 6, 2013 at 00:59

Thanks Ande!!

It sure is! Happy 2013. And many mooooooore. :)

Melody Fletcher invites you to read..Can I Make My Mother More Open Minded?My Profile

L. Krishna March 10, 2013 at 10:02

Thank you for sharing your amazing ideas, my fellow beautiful immortal!!!

I grew up in India hearing all these lovely stories about immortal Gods and Goddesses & hence in a way have been exposed to this concept from childhood onwards;but, there is a catch–the adults around me told me that immortality is a trait of the Gods not humans, especially not meant for women…hahahah….It took me some time to learn that these Gods and Goddesses are merely humans who declared themselves to be ‘ageless’ eons ago & pursued their hearts’ desires with childlike abandon and have since then moved on to explore higher states of existence in countless universes out there!

So, it would be a great system wherein once a person reaches adulthood (when he or she is physically grown & mentally ready to embrace that state as well), then that person should be able choose his/her age!!! I am sure we won’t have so many age related diseases in our societies then. Doctors won’t approve of this radical idea, I guess!

Once again thank you for your post & for all others who written wonderful comments on this post!
Much love,
L.Krishna

ritamix June 22, 2013 at 02:49

that’s a wonderful article. i needed to read that. just met a younger man and we are crazy about eachother but he is pressed to learn my age. i don’t look my real age, but i don’t want to be pressed and constantly nagged about having to fess up. i don’t want to be judged, i just want him to know me for me.

Also ageless July 28, 2013 at 04:43

I to attempt to keep my age private and am often surprised at how many people will not respect the fact that I do not want to reveal my age. men ask me how old I am, friends, and even close friends and when I don’t want answer the question people become angry and more insistent in wanting an answer. They don’t want to respect the boundary that I’m setting. I usually reply old enough to see pg13 movies. Lol. I suppose the reason I’m most sensitive is feeling/belief I missed out on motherhood and don’t want to get into that whole painful conversation and hear the oh my you look great “for your age”. I thought you were years younger. Somehow the sentence hurts. I had one date go terribly bad with why don’t you want to tell me. I just didn’t. And I don’t report my age to even my closest friends. I suppose many ppl don’t understand it. I have never felt good after revealing it. I don’t believe I’m old, I believe society believes women of a certain age are old. I also don’t like when females ask you havent started menopause yet, have you? Like in what world would I want to have that discussion?